Why isn't there a bladderless, fiberglass reinforced plastic tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boyblue

Reaction score
The only issue I've had with galvanized tanks is that they rust so I'm wondering why hasn't someone come up with a tank that doesn't rust and that uses the principles of the galvanized tank or is there one?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is unusual to have a problem with a galvanized tank other than when it finally rusts out. There are several brands of fiberglass bladderless tanks that will work the same way and never rust out. However, maintaining the correct air volume in any bladderless tank has always been a problem for the pump and other parts of the system.

There are still good reasons to use a bladderless type tank, as when the water needs to be aerated for iron, sulfur, etc. But the bleeder orifice, air injector, air volume control, or other parts needed to maintain the air level are items that need regular maintenance.

The bladder or diaphragm style tank simply holds the air charge in a separate chamber from the water. This basically eliminates any maintenance required because there is no need for air injectors, bleeders, or air volume controls.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think the Flexcon Flex-Lite , which craigpump suggests, meets the request by having a diaphragm rather than a bladder.
pix2.png
http://www.flexconind.com/products/well-tanks/flexlite-well-tanks/

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The bladder or diaphragm style tank simply holds the air charge in a separate chamber from the water. This basically eliminates any maintenance required because there is no need for air injectors, bleeders, or air volume controls.
I agree. Why bother with having to install and maintain an airmaker and AVC unless the water needs aeration?

Reach4

Reaction score
The FLS does not have a bladder or diaphram, the FL series is a bladder style tank.
You are right. I had not been looking at FLS and I was mistaken about FLS was. It is the FL series which are diaphragm tanks with a butyl diaphragm. I don't need a tank yet, but with the current tank 12 years old I have been looking ahead. I had been looking at Well-X-Trol WX-251, but now think that the FL17 with 17 gallon drawdown might be my choice when the time comes.

Boyblue

Reaction score
Tanks are expensive here because they're so bulky - ocean freight is a killer. And then there's the 45% duty which is paid on cost & freight.

I'm going with the 20 gal welmate bladder tank only because it's 75% less than the 120 gal tank I would have bought had it not been for the Cycle Stop Valve I discovered here. Speaking of which could a CSV work with a standard setup?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes a CSV will work with a bladderless tank. You just have to turn up the air injector or put the bleeder orifice deeper in the well. This is because the bleeder only injects air when the pump cycles. So with a CSV the pump cycles so much less that you have to add more air when the pump does cycle.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would take the galvanized tank over a fiberglass tank.

Fiberglass will not last here because of sun damage.

My galvanized tank is about 40 years old, and is due for a replacement any time now.

I may go with a CSV and smaller tank when the time comes.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes a CSV will work with a bladderless tank. You just have to turn up the air injector or put the bleeder orifice deeper in the well. This is because the bleeder only injects air when the pump cycles. So with a CSV the pump cycles so much less that you have to add more air when the pump does cycle.
Blueboy's water level might only be 10 feet below the pressure switch and tank. However I guess horizontal distance is significant for this purpose.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Blueboy's water level might only be 10 feet below the pressure switch and tank.
With so little head, a snifter/check/bleeder drainback airmaking system might not be a good idea as the pump would be starting against no head and upthrust.

Boyblue

Reaction score

Wouldn't this tank be good for hard water situations. Although there is no sulfur the limestone
With so little head, a snifter/check/bleeder drainback airmaking system might not be a good idea as the pump would be starting against no head and upthrust.

Honestly, because we're talking $250.00 (landed) and not $1,000.00 I'm good. That bladder should give me five years right?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Wouldn't this tank be good for hard water situations. Although there is no sulfur the limestone

Honestly, because we're talking $250.00 (landed) and not $1,000.00 I'm good. That bladder should give me five years right?

Do you think 5 years is good ?

You must be a old fart like me. And you have no plans to live that long.

How many years did your old tank last ?

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There really is no benefit for you to go to a HP tank if the water doesn't need aerating. A bladder/diaphragm tank usually has more drawdown for the same size. How long a bladder lasts will depend on cycling. I would expect it to last more than 5 years.

Reach4

Reaction score
Flex-Lite FL7 would get you a fiberglass tank with a butyl diaphragm. How much more would that cost you vs the fiberglass Wellmate bladder tank?

Boyblue

Reaction score
Do you think 5 years is good ?

You must be a old fart like me. And you have no plans to live that long.

How many years did your old tank last ?

Galvanized tanks rust out in about five years. Salt in the air and in the water (in higher concentrations than normal). Hard water is hard on everything.

There really is no benefit for you to go to a HP tank if the water doesn't need aerating. A bladder/diaphragm tank usually has more drawdown for the same size. How long a bladder lasts will depend on cycling. I would expect it to last more than 5 years.

That's good to know, because we're using a small tank it's not that big a deal though.

Flex-Lite FL7 would get you a fiberglass tank with a butyl diaphragm. How much more would that cost you vs the fiberglass Wellmate bladder tank?

Luckily the company that I'm getting my pumps from carries Flexcon. I didn't specify brand but was quoted the FL7. It's like $20.00 more Stateside which could be as much as $40.00 more landed - I'm going with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks