Why is this leaking (photo attached)

Users who are viewing this thread

CLEAVER97

Reaction score
2252527512_2eeff2cb51_m.jpg

I had a leaking american standard tub faucet (721X) and replaced the cartridge as suggested. The tub faucet is still leaking the same amount of hot water- steady trickle. I do not see many posts on this type of faucet cartidge set up and was looking for advice. The set up consists of a plastic round cartridge with 3 holes at the rear that mates to the shower body and when the handle is turned it regulates the flow.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Just thinking this through:

Water is leaking therefore the valve is not fully closing.

It is hot water, therefore the hot water portion is not closed.

It is not cold water, therefore the cold water portion is closed.

If there is no leaking outside the tub (into your ceiling or floor outside the bathroom), then you can rule out the water supply or DWV piping.

I would conclude that something is wrong with the valve. Not knowing this valve in detail, I would inspect the mating valve components very closely for scratches, gouges, or cracks. And try to determine if the mating components fit with no gaps or looseness. The easy thing to do is to return it for another cartridge, but it helps to know what the root cause is.

CLEAVER97

Reaction score
thanks

took it apart again and inspected the mating surfaces and all looked good. Checked with a magnifying glass and cleaned all surfaces. I find it hard to believe that the leak is the same with a new cartridge which I already replaced? I am just trying not to replace the shower body.

Thanks for the reply.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
How does this valve work? Does it turn (twist) to shut off? If yes, there may be something preventing the mechanism from turning fully closed. I looked for a diagram on A-S's website, but couldn't find anything. This suggestion may not help if this is a push-pull type valve.

CLEAVER97

Reaction score
It's a standard twist single handle valve. I have taken apart numerous times to inspect and it doesn"t even slow if you put pressure on the handle on the off position.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I had a leaking american standard tub faucet

I do not see many posts on this type of faucet cartidge set up

It's because american standard has problems with their shower valves, major ones, thus the reason why they are not installed much.

They just wanted in on the money made on tub/shower valves massively produced by Delta and Moen, the rest fall in line behind.

This won't be the last time you work on this faucet. You'll eventually replace it with I hope better product. Sooner or later you'll know the girls at American Standard on a first name basis.

Yes. It's that bad.

Do you know the water pressure in your home? The only way you will is having a pressure gauge, no other way is acceptable including asking your neighbor what he thinks. :confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks