Why is my fill tube diverted to flow under the foundation?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Another Project, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Another Project

Another Project New Member

We moved into a 1980 built house and trying to figure our the purpose of this toilet setup.

The main floor bathroom has a T-connector on the fill tube, the line going into the overflow is dry, but the other line leads out the tank follows the water supply line to the basement then into another hose which is embedded into the foundation.

Any idea what this is supposed to do? Does it need to remain connected?
    (Possible additional information or red herring is the previous owner installed a basement bathroom below the main floor one but I don't see any connection to this tube).

Thanks!
  2. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

Maybe somebody did that to keep a trap in the basement from drying out and letting sewer gasses back into the house.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I agree with lee that the only thing that makes sense is a trap primer. Is there a floor drain in the room??
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Also note that if you tried that on most new toilets, they wouldn't flush properly...that tube is what refills the bowl, and it won't flush properly when it isn't full to start with. Older ones tended to overfill the bowl anyway, so it may not have been an issue.
  5. Another Project

Another Project New Member

There's no floor drain in the main floor bathroom. There is a basement floor drain but its about 20 feet from where the hose goes into the cement floor.

I replaced the toilet on the weekend but I'll leave the hose lying around for a few weeks to see if we get any sewer gas smells. If none, I'll pull it out and hope for the best.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; There is a basement floor drain but its about 20 feet from where the hose goes into the cement floor.

There is nothing that says the "hose" cannot travel 20' to that floor drain, and in fact that is probably WHERE it does end up. But it does sound like a "Mickey Mouse" way to accomplish keeping the trap full of water.