Why don’t use a gasket on top of tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cowboy123

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone can help me understand why the drain manufacturers don’t provide a gasket that goes ABOVE THE TUB and between the tub and drain? They only provide one that goes underneath the tub.

Thanks!

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Because the drain would sit proud on the tub and hold standing water keeping it all from draining.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Under he drain flange should be a bead of plumbers putty. Many instructions for drains show that silicone should be used.

installing a bathtub drain. Go to the 6:00 minute mark. Lately YouTube is not linking videos. Just copy and paste this URL.

youtu.be/PPQODqHvQC4?si=APSjO8LWDTkdx7VS

Last edited:

Eman85

Reaction score
Research what type of tub and what you're going to seal it with. Some products aren't recommended for acrylic.

Cowboy123

Reaction score
Thanks!

My tub is fiberglass and the drain is oatley 420452. The gray Oatley drain is made of a special material that can be weld to either PVC or ABS, which explicitly stamps “no oil-based sealer”, which I think includes putty, especially oil-based putty.

I don’t like to use silicone. One main reason is this drain is tightened by threading the top flange in, while the base is fixed underneath the tub. the sealer should be applied underneath the flange edge, which will be super messy and ineffective when threaded in.

I think a second rubber gasket will work best for me. A little water left over in the tub is fine.

Strangely, oatley doesn’t offer that rubber gasket as a product, unless I buy another drain.

Anyone has any ideas where I can get one? Thanks!

Attachments

• A535184E-770B-408E-B813-73AEFE618BC2.jpeg
    A535184E-770B-408E-B813-73AEFE618BC2.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks!

My tub is fiberglass and the drain is oatley 420452. The gray Oatley drain is made of a special material that can be weld to either PVC or ABS, which explicitly stamps “no oil-based sealer”, which I think includes putty, especially oil-based putty.

I don’t like to use silicone. One main reason is this drain is tightened by threading the top flange in, while the base is fixed underneath the tub. the sealer should be applied underneath the flange edge, which will be super messy and ineffective when threaded in.

I think a second rubber gasket will work best for me. A little water left over in the tub is fine.

Strangely, oatley doesn’t offer that rubber gasket as a product, unless I buy another drain.

Anyone has any ideas where I can get one? Thanks!
It's pretty universal that silicone is used for this. After you screw the drain in you wipe off the excess. It's pretty effective and almost never leaks. Once dried is very solid and can still be removed. The product you want is silicone. A gasket under the flange will rot in time. The gasket under the tub is secondary and shouldn't see water. If it does see water it fails after a while.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks