Why does light bulb blow?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Blumengarten, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Blumengarten

Blumengarten New Member

Why would a bulbs in a light fixture suddenly start blowing when you turn it on? I suppose that means there's a short in the system, but why would one develop suddenly? We've been using this light fixture for many, many years, and never had problems with the bulbs blowing out, but in the last month, we've had to change the bulb three times. How could a short develop when you've not done anything but turn a light on and off?
  2. TedL

TedL New Member

What kind of a fixture is it?
    Has anyone touched any wiring in the house?
  3. Blumengarten

Blumengarten New Member

It's a single bulb in a hanging light fixture with one socket. It's plugged into a wall outlet. The fixture was re-wired about three years ago, but the bulb's just started blowing out these past few weeks.
  4. Cookie

Cookie .

are your bulbs old ?
  5. TedL

TedL New Member

Do you have a V-O-A meter? If not, get one and check the voltage between the center "button" and the outer shell.

Even a $2 sale meter from Harbor Freight will be good enough for what you need. Elsewher, you'll pay $10 - 15.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

"shorts" not likely to blow bulbs. This could be a symptom of an open neutral problem. I would have a good electrician give your house the once over,.
  7. Blumengarten

Blumengarten New Member

No, I've been using new bulbs each time!

$2 I can afford!

I was thinking of doing that eventually since I plan on renting this house out come summer -- it's my deceased mother's house which I inherited, I want to make sure everything's safe before I rent it out!