Why do plumbing jobs always leak

Users who are viewing this thread

GoshenPlumber

Reaction score
In the 19 years I have lived in my house, almost every plumbing job that has been done has had a leak which did not show up for a day or two. This required me to recall the plumber to fix the leak. I have tried different plumbers from different companies and still almost every plumbing job has a leak.

Is this just the nature of plumbing work or is this due to the expertise of the plumber?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In the 19 years I have lived in my house, almost every plumbing job that has been done has had a leak which did not show up for a day or two. This required me to recall the plumber to fix the leak. I have tried different plumbers from different companies and still almost every plumbing job has a leak.

Is this just the nature of plumbing work or is this due to the expertise of the plumber?
If it involved seat soldering, they probably did not know what they were doing or did not care. If they are Pros, than they lose money by having to come back to fix what should have been done right the first time. If it involved threaded joints or drain fittings, maybe they were araid to make it too tight and break the joint, or, maybe my first possibilty applies as well. In the 42 years I've been in my house, I never called a plumber in to do anything. I have had good "luck" 99% of the time doing stuff myself. I'm just a DIYer, but I don't like having to do the same work over and over. Yet, sometimes, success is a little harder to achieve. I can never understand why a contractor will do shitty work, unless his call back visits are charged for.

DougB

Reaction score
This is why I do virtually all my own work. I'm lucky to be born with a mechnical aptitude, and learned alot growing up, from a grandfather in the HVAC business.

40 years ago, when we had our first home, we had water dammage through the roof. The insurance company paid for the repairs. First the contractor removed plaster without covering the newly finished hardwood floors (and ground it in). Then someone fell off a ladder and put a sizeable hole in our plaster wall. Finally a painter broke a window.

Naturally this upset my wife, and I had to work on making her unupset.

I know there's some competent trades people out there - it's finding them - that's the problem.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is this due to the expertise of the plumber?

I would think so.
Having a leak after a repair? How would anyone stay in business? Any good service plumber will be dependable.

When I was doing new construction in my 20's, I went eight months without a leak on my copper. And even the other times when I had a leak, it was fixed before we left for the day.
That's why they hire us. to Get it Done Right!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If "every plumbing job leaked", I would soon have NO CUSTOMERS to fix things for. It is either the plumber using inferior products or lacks the experience or competence to install them properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks