why did the plumber do this?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by trapman, Feb 5, 2012.

1. trapman

trapman New Member

In the process of redo on downstairs bathroom of my house which was built in 1949.
    When I removed the old plaster/drywall I found the copper pipe to the shower head
    had this strange run in it. Can someone tell me the purpose?

Thanks
    Dave

Attached Files:

2. RRW

RRW New Member

Since copper has a pretty high coefficient of expansion I bet it is there to keep the pipe from pushing the shower head up when it is hot.
  3. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

All I can do is laugh.
  4. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

He didn't have two couplings but he had 4 90's.......and some cold beer waiting at home.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

He needed an offset and didn't have any 45's\

There was something in the way, on one side of the wall or another, at the time. Recessed soap dish?
  6. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

LOL - So true. I have seen this done with double 45's when no coupling is on site.

Nice Call.

I did make a similar sculpture years ago when my Step Dad was teaching me to solder. Could just be art.

Maybe they wanted lower water pressure???
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

someone told him they were going to put a soap dish in the wall at that point so he had to offset around it. Expansion is not even close to being a factor in a short shower riser, and if he had had a leak it would have been faster to take the elbow loose than go to that amount of work.
  8. trapman

trapman New Member

Thanks for the various comments. I guess I like the "had four 90's and no couplings and cold beer waiting" as best answer.

Dave
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I agree with hj, it was most likely done for a future soap dish.
    I've been requested to pipe around a soap dish before.
  10. hj

quote; I guess I like the "had four 90's and no couplings and cold beer waiting" as best answer.

Not really, because there was no reason WHY he would have needed ANOTHER coupling since he already has one by the valve, and if the "four 90s" was the reason, he could have made less of an offset and a shorter one.
  11. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

Yeah well we are both guessing unless you did the work. I decided to have a sense of humor.
  12. hj

quote; I decided to have a sense of humor.

In that case, maybe he thought there was too much pressure and decided to create some additional restriction to the flow, especially if he used CPVC or PEX down to the spout. Sort of like the technician in the computer room at the university I used to work at. She had a lamp which was too bright so she plugged it into a long extension cord then would the cord into a coil and stuck it in a drawer, figuring if the electricity had to travel farther it would be weaker.
  13. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Has it been established what kind of beer he had waiting? Inquiring minds want to know!
  14. Smooky

Smooky Member

In the back side of the wall you can see there is a plywood repair panel behind the shower valve and this section of pipe fittings. My thought is at some point the valve was changed and the copper pipe had to be cut. A new valve was installed and it was easier to put the pipes back together using two 90’s on the straight section of pipe and then using the last two 90’s to make a “U” and sweat it all back together.

Terry mentioned this in a post a week or so ago “use four 90's
    that way the last piece that glues in is like a U."