Why am I certain this is against code?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
So, deep into it again.

Yesterday tore out a 100 amp pushmatic (bulldog) panel and roughed in a 200 amp Murray.

There is a large separate garage destined to be a man cave, getting a 50 amp sub panel. Dug (well, not me) a 40' trench and dropped in three lengths of conduit.

One of them is to permit some three way switches on both structures to control porch lights and flood lights.

Any restrictions? Can a circuit starting from the main panel feed a switch that is in the same switch box as a circuit starting from the other panel?

I don't know why I am sure that is not legit. Possibly because the code is so convoluted and obscure....

Stuff

Reaction score
250.30 - Only allowed one feeder to a detached structure. But allowed to have one feeder or circuit back to original structure. i.e. just feed the lights and switches from the panel in the garage and you are good.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might be able to use something like Insteon or X-10 to control the lights from multiple locations (via an RF or line-voltage signaling). Low-voltage controls could be used, but powering the lights from only one location (therefor no need to run power between, only the low voltage). Someone that knows the code may know of an exception or a compliant way to do it otherwise.

Reaction score
For sure, don't tie the neutrals from the two circuits together.

Fine advise for all to consider!

I have a half inch plastic conduit running between the two buildings for switches.

So the customer could eventually have quite a number of lamps on various circuits. The garage includes an RV garage which, surprisingly, is very tall.

And the yard is quite an L shape.

And there is not yet a pool in the back yard, but the day may come!

He could want a fair number of three way switches for banks of lights. I think he can have three circuits with ease, as long as we stick to 15 amp.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks