Why a New Pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

BarryWinSF

Reaction score
Hi,

Here is my situation. My main sewer line is about 55 years old so is most likely clay pipe and runs about 80 ft. from the front of the house to the street.

I have a root problem and over time have had 2 video inspections. Both times, people have confirmed that the pipe is broken in 4 place after they snaked my pipe and hydro-jet it. The first time it lasted five years and the 2nd time was today. I was charged $350 this 2nd time (I live in the SF Bay Area).

The guy told me I should replace my pipe in the broken areas and that he could do it with a trenchless pipe. The cost would be $4,500 though I know he would negotiate. My question is this:

Financially, it makes sense to me that I pay $350-400 every 5 years to clean the pipe as opposed to paying $4000-4,500. I would get a 'roots-no-more' product for preventive maintenance and go from there. Does that make sense or are the pipes going to continually get worse at a rate that would make it a better option to replace them?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know about trenchless. Sounds interesting. However it sounds like you may be saying that he plans to fix the broken areas. That does not sound so good. A new complete PVC sewer pipe would be worthwhile IMO, if you could get it for similar money. You would expect to get an outside rodding access as part of the PVC job I would think, although you may never need it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know about trenchless. Sounds interesting. However it sounds like you may be saying that he plans to fix the broken areas. That does not sound so good. A new complete PVC sewer pipe would be worthwhile IMO, if you could get it for similar money. You would expect to get an outside rodding access as part of the PVC job I would think, although you may never need it.

Just a homeowner who had clay pipe replaced with PVC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks