why a hole in ptrap of a floor mount toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

michael macdonald

Reaction score
I am replacing the seal on a rear discharge, floor mount Kohler k4219. I now think it wasn't the seal that was leaking (despite it being a wax seal for a rear discharge). I found a plug at the bottom of the ptrap that had some moisture around it. I can put a pic in once I get to a PC. Why would there be a little hole and a plug in the ptrap? It is a typical enclosed base of a floor mount toilet. I expect plunging over the years has loosened the plug and cause a leak.

And the big question. How should I reseal this? Silicon caulk?

michael macdonald

Reaction score
here are pics
2014-01-16 22.24.47.jpg 2014-01-16 22.26.55.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would goo that on with Silicone.
They sometimes have those holes to let hot air escape from a void in the casting area during the firing process in the kiln.

michael macdonald

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. That is what I will do--goo it on. I hope it becomes plunger-proof. This toilet is a bear to remove.

Asktom

Reaction score
With silicone seal patches, I like to spread the silicone evenly on a piece cut from a heavy plastic bag and then press that on. There is less chance of a gap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks