Why 2" drain for shower

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
I'm working on remodeling a small master bath. I removed the cast iron tub by drilling a series of holes cross-wise across the middle & then breaking the tub in half with a sledge hammer. I'm begining to doubt the feasability of installing another exact replacement cast iron tub because the length of the tube is the width of the room (alcove design). Anyhow, to the question at hand. The tub was plumbed with 1-1/2" drain. Redoing the drain in 2", if I want to convert to a shower only, looks next to impossible. The bathroom is on the 2nd floor & the drain plumbing runs into a false wall cavity. If the 1-1/2" drain was OK using the shower in the tube, why won't it be OK if I use a shower base instead? Comments & suggestions welcome.
Thanks, FJK

TedL

Reaction score
leejosepho said:
I have wondered about the same thing: Why would a smaller-capacity vessel -- damp pan versus tub of water -- need the larger drain?

Because the smaller capacity can't serve as a "holding tank" waiting for a slow moving drain.

There also seems to be little updating of codes relating to drainage to reflect flow limiting fixtures. Perhaps because many restrictors are so easily removed.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
not a big concern, not life threatening

my view: Code sets standards to account for hazards and danger. Sometimes Code has to set minimums for things that are not all that serious after all. Perhaps in some future decade, century or millenium, there will be two different documents covering the same as (or more than) what Code now covers: the first one covering hazard / danger / safety concerns, and the second one covering permissible calculations allowing one to build options for non-crucial work-arounds.

That being said, let us now look briefly at the diameter of the pipe that takes shower water away from the shower floor and carries it downstream to the stack. Did you know that Code used to set that diameter at 1-1/2" (1.5") ? That minimum was raised to 2" at some point and this has now become the "norm" everywhere in the US and Canada and perhaps in a few other places that I don't know.

To go back to first principles analyzing why 2" now and why 1.5" was once deemed acceptable, can be a short or a long discussion depending on how much depth you want to dig into the issues.

Carrying capacity of pipe is the short answer.

If your 1.5" pipe alreay in place has the right slope (and not too much slope, i.e. steeper) and if the distance is short enough before the first Vent, then its internal capacity to exchange air and water will be as good as the original (1.5" shower drain) Code called for, and it'll work well BUT it is very likely that no-one will want to leave any trace of anything hinting at a clear recommendation that you do anything regarding this well-installed 1.5" drain pipe.

Not a plumber, I looked into this same subject for many years. I renovated my own two bathrooms. In one bathroom a Master Plumber who I hired installed a 1.5" pipe and P trap (instead of a 2" which I had specified and which he had accepted to do); he claimed that for the short distance involved it would work fine, and that he didn't find the necessary space to put in 2" fittings and pipe.

:) Do not ask me now whether "Xx distance is short enough" so that you can safely .... since three variables, 1. slope, 2. venting and 3. distance, all combine to make this situation a bit too complex to talk about unless A. you are truly competent and B. the person responding is truly competent. I think a Master Plumber may be professionally accredited and allowed to make some judgement calls based on serious measurements and knowledge of the interrelated constraints, as well as a licensed Contractor in some places, as well as a homeowner in most places.

AFAIK. :)

d-v-d

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This question is mentioned in an article in the Mar/Apr issue of "Official", the magazine of IAPMO. They are actually studying a possible revision or exception to that code. The reason is our "aging" society. They see that more and more, there is a need to remodel a bathroom to make it accessible for disabled and elderly. Allowing a shower to be installed on an existing 1½" tub drain would simplify this task. Lots of discussion to take place, but apparently there is some inclination to accept the fact that a 1½" line can drain a shower, and if people want to go there and accept the risks and responsibility, then why not? I expect the 2" requirement would remain for new construction, because the logig is basically sound.

FJK

Reaction score
Geniescience, reading between the lines of your response, I think I got my answer. I assume your remodel job (bath to shower?) worked fine or else you would have commented differently.

Jimbo, yours was an interesting observation as well, ... showers for the elderly, yeah that be me, real soon.

Thanks everyone who replied. May have more questions later.

Regards, FJK

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Saying it in another way...the area of a 1.5" drain opening is 1.77 sq in, a 2" drain's area is 3.14 sq inches - nearly twice as large. That small increase in diameter makes a big difference. A shower curb is often not that high. Standing on the drain, dropping a washcloth, etc. can quickly fill up a shower to the height of the curb if you aren't watching, and spill water out into the room. A tub has an overflow, so if everything is working right, you can't overflow the tub. You could create some big waves maybe, but not cause it to overflow. So, being able to drain the shower even when the drain is partially covered (or just faster when you realize you are creating a pool) as the result of the larger drain line is a big plus.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
yeah you got it FJ.

DIY folk ought not to be told how to work around code. Great risk they'll end up doing the wrong thing. Also, leaves a permanent record that can haunt the poster for all time to come. And, a hundred thousand future lurkers will read about work-arounds, short cuts, variances etc all of which may not be good for them but could embolden them to do the wrong thing.

A scupper drain is ideal to get water out of a pan without risking blocking the drain with a big foot or a cloth.

A bathroom floor drain outside the shower is a good way to add insurance (i.e. redundancy) to your bathroom drainage.

david

Dan Pick

Reaction score
I wouldn't make the statement that DIY'ers are doing it the "easy way". The easy way would be a call a plumber or contractor and have him do it. Give him or her all your money and take what he provides as quality work.

Most DIY'ers are looking at a cost effective alternative to having a professional. Usually I can upgrade the product and do a great installation by knowing 100% what I'm doing before hand.

Thats why forums like this are so great for an DIY'er to get free advice from a seasoned professional.

FJK

Reaction score
Yeah, some DIY's might look for the easy way, but I always aim for the perfect way, minimize the oops, and always try to get as close to perfect as possible. I know one thing about myself, if I have to ask for guidance, I'm not smart enough to "cut corners".

In this case, I'm really puzzled with the logistics of moving & installing a 330 lb tub. The shower deal might not be the alternative I was hoping for. This is a small bathroom. The tub is 30 X 60. Shower platforms (Bases) I was considering were 36X60. The extra 6" probably will put me on the edge of the toliet.

More suggestions welcome for either tub or shower. I just want something that is first class looking & durable.

Thanks everyone,
FJK

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Go to www.schluter.com and look at their Kerdi shower system. They have a pan made to replace a standard tub with the drain at one end, or if you can move it easily to the middle, in the middle. 30x60 if I remember. Note, the curb is fairly wide (this is in addition to the width of the pan), but you could build a narrower one if you didn't want to use theirs.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
geniescience said:
DIY folk ought not to be told how to work around code.

leejosepho said:
Why do you single out DIY folk ... and why do you even mention that at all?

hj said:
Because DIY'ers are the ones trying to do it the "easy way", and often, if not usually, rankle when they hear that the code does not permit it.

So then, and for as long as he was not merely trying to do something "the easy way", it would be okay for one pro to tell another how to do a work-around?

Codes are meant to keep professionals in line, not homeowners.

Or to say that more clearly: Codes are meant to keep professionals in line for the sake of homeowners and other customers, not to keep homeowners in line for the sake of professionals or to force them into becoming customers.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
ridicule not appropriate here

hi jlo

let's not get sarcastic and cynical on someone else's thread. Let the thread originator have his original topic back.

start a new thread to discuss a new topic.
e.g. opinions vary on what Code is for
e.g. why treat DIY differently when they ask
e.g. make up your own

david

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
geniescience said:
hi jlo

let's not get sarcastic and cynical ...

There was no sarcasm or cynicism there.

geniescience said:
... on someone else's thread ...

start a new thread to discuss a new topic.

You had raised the issue with editorial comment having nothing to do with the question at hand, and since there is no specific place for either that or for my own related comments following, these kinds of friendly exchanges occasionally appear in one happenstance place or another.

SeriousDIYer

Reaction score
I am as my screen name states, a serious DIYer. I get aggrevated when reading things from the professionals who are jealous of homeowners who have the same skills that they have. They think that we are just a bunch of cheap skates who would prefer to half-a** something than over pay one of the professionals. I completed a bath remodel a year ago that took the bathroom down to studs and floor joists, added a tile floor shower with a mortar pan, a corner whirlpool tub with an inline heater and custom tiling throughout. a 5 month project for someone who works 50 hours a week in the manufacturing business. I complete everything to code as it would cause serious problems and more than likely more costly repairs later on if I were to sell my home. You see, I called 2 different professional plumbers in to give me an estimate at plumbing in the new 2" drain and hot/cold water feeds dor the new shower. The 6 inch main waste was 5 feet from the new drain location. Nothing rally difficult other than they would have had to get into a closet in the basement that holds my evacuation pump to make the connection of the new 2 inch waste line. After receiving a $2,400.00 and an $1,800.00 quote, I went to my local home center, purchased everything I needed for about $120.00 and completed the plumbing myself in 4 hours. I don't see where ther was a need to pay $1,800 - $2,400 for 4 hours labor and $120.00 in pvc and copper. So you see, if we, the DIYers can save the extrodinary amount we pay for the labor and the costs to cover the insurance payments for the professionals, why is it that we are considered incompetent, cheap want to be's. Sorry if this insulted anyone, but if the shoe fits!

SeriousDIYer

Reaction score
FJK the remodel I just completed in the above comment about DIYers was completed in a bathroom that was 9' x 6'. I was able to get a corner whirlpoll, a 5' x 3' shower and a large vanity with upper cabinets all in this location. You just need to sit down and determine wether you want the tub, the shower, or if feasable, both. You can, if designed correctly, fit a lot into a little space, making the space both efficient and useful. Granted, I can't dance in the bathroom, but I have used all available space effectively. Can you maybe make your own shower base? You could custom fit it into the space you have. I found a great sight on building a shower pan from scratch, see: http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html for complete details.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks