Whole House Rewire

Users who are viewing this thread

johngandersonjr

Reaction score
IMG_4066.JPG

I am looking to rewire my house. I have just finished replacing my service and service panel from 100 amp to 200 amp.

I am going to run new wires into my attic and drop down for lights, etc. and run new wires from the basement for recepticles, etc..

My question is, when run the wires in the attic, where do I run them? to I cut holes in each rafter? my panel is on the far side of my house, so I will have to run some wires all the way to the other side of the house. I have rafters every 16 inches. that will be a lot of holes to drill if that is the case.

Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The answer will depend on how/if you intend to finish the attic.

If not, you can run 1x4 boards down the length of the space and staple the cable to it with the properly listed cable staples. All cable within 7 feet of the attic opening must be protected by additional guard strips to protect the cable from damage.

Last edited:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can drill a hole thru the joist so long as it does not exceed one third of the dimension of the board. The hole also must be centered. That said you don't need to drill anything. You can lay the wires directly on top of the the joists as long as they can't be walked on. This means run the wires out by the eves, and not in the middle of the attic. You can staple the wires to the side of the joists when you need to wire out toward the middle of the attic. Also your ceiling is likely not attached directly to the joists. You can often slip the wires under the joists as well, although this can be a pain over long distances. You should also staple the wires to the joists and not just lay them up there. And as already mentioned keep the wires away from the attic access hole.

If you are determined to rewire your house yourself you should buy a good book on residential electric wiring and read it BEFORE you start. Know where you are going to put all your outlets (there are rules regarding outlet spacing), how many and how you are going to run your circuits and how to calculate box fill. There are many other things you need to understand before you start as well so read up before you pull any wire.

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks