"Whole house filter"

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by amateurplumber1, Mar 31, 2013.

1. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

What exactly is this referring to? My neighbor said he has one of these installed that goes before his softener. What exactly is it for?

Thanks
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

It is exactly as the name implies. It is a filter that all the water for the whole house goes through.
  3. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

But what particles does it filter out?
  4. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

It could mean carbon in a tank or inline filter with a replacable cartridge.
  5. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

He said its a little canister that i think is attached before the softener and it costs a few bucks to replace the cartridge every couple months.
  6. LLigetfa

It would depend on what particles are in the water to begin with, and what mesh or micron size the filter is. I have a 100 mesh filter that catches grains of sand and can be flushed so it is a permanent filter, not a disposable element.
  7. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

Oh, interesting, thanks for the info! What particles should I be looking for to judge whether I need a filter or not? How expensive are these things?
  8. LLigetfa

Do you have a specific problem or is this a solution in search of a problem?
  9. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

Definitely solution in search of a problem lol. I figure if my neighbor has one there must be a reason.
  10. JohnnyO

JohnnyO New Member

11. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Unless you can see particles in a glass of your water, about the only reason to have one is to make the seller more money.

Another down side is reducing the water flow for backwash and causing incomplete backwash and eventually ruining your resin. Then after a few years many people go back to the same dealer to buy new resin...
  12. chevy427

chevy427 Banned

A properly sized filter and appropriate maintenance can prove to be beneficial to your water quality and longevity of your softener. It is amazing what a pre-filter can remove over time. It is a low cost protection to your more expensive equipment.
  13. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Kinetico salesman Andy, he is talking a disposable cartridge filter. That's the type you guys usually sell when you can't get your softener customer to pay your high price for the Kinetico filter or combo filter/softener you propose.