Whole-house filter install soon, planning the loop.

Users who are viewing this thread

renstyle

Reaction score
Looking to install a pair of whole-house filters in the near future, trying to get some background/tips.

I have a 3/4" copper main line that runs up the wall in the basement from the meter. At the joists it branches to the rest of the house. I've got plenty of space to add a pair of filters just to the right of the main.

Here's what I was considering:

whole-house-filter-solid-blue.jpg whole-house-filter-clear.jpg

The first will have the main sediment filter to catch particulates that always seem to be in our water (and to keep the water usable when they are flushing hydrants). The second will have a charcoal filter to reduce the chlorine smell/taste (not really bad but every little bit helps).

I chose filters which already had 3/4" connections to match better with the mainline.

I'm fishing for opinions on how you would 'splice this in'? My main concern is that I'm not terribly good with sweating joints (which I assume would be the first, if not a top-3 option). Can solder a PCB all day long, but copper pipe has never liked me.

At some time in the past the line from the meter to the WH was converted from galv to copper. I kept the copper lines when I took out the galv. pipe from the whole house last week (part of my lead/oakum thread).

I used 1/2" compression to 1/2" MPT fittings to add a valve to both hot and cold, then ran everything PEX to the house fixtures.

I also considered using compression connectors (or at the very least a pair of unions) to connect the 'U' which will hold the filters to connect to the main. Others have mentioned that compression connectors CANNOT be used on the main line feeding a home (I have nothing to back this us, please advise if I was given good/bogus info).

I'm not a gambler, so something like sharkbites or other slip-on fitting was not considered. (I'm sure SB are fine for some applications, but I could not sleep at night knowing my whole house depended on one, much less possible code concerns).

I'd prefer to keep the line copper/brass if possible, but that is not a requirement. Wanted to get some brass short bits to run between the filters anyway.

Thanks for your time,

Last edited:

Mage182

Reaction score
In my area all of the piping coming in and out of the filters has to be copper. I used 3/4" copper unions and threaded male adapters to hook up my filters that look pretty much like what you posted above. I would worry that pex wouldn't hold the weight of both of them once they're full of water considering they pretty much need to hang in open space.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks