Who turned the lights out? (I did)

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by ian1511, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ian1511

ian1511 New Member

Was placing a screw to secure a wall outlet receptacle in my garage. Had just painted that wall. Had to jiggle it a little and sparks appeared, I let go and all the lights in the room and the adjacent room went out. Garage door opener also won't work. The strange thing is that the circuit breaker does not show the fuse tripped on that circuit. Just to check, I turned the circuit off and then back on and still no lights. Where might the problem be? What do I need to change or fix?

Thanks,

Ian
  2. kreemoweet

kreemoweet Member

Quite possibly a wire splice came apart in the box you were messing with. Make sure all the wires in the box are dead
    before investigating.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the lights did not go out until you released it, then it was not the circuit breaker. More likely a loose connection.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Often, especially if it is to code, things in the garage are protected by a GFCI...find it and reset it, and things will probably work again...could be something else, but that one is fairly common.
  5. drick

drick In the Trades

Look for a GFCI first, but breakers are known to fail. Where you have multiple rooms out I'm leaning toward the breaker. Don't just assume it is still working and passing current just because it didn't trip and you can still reset it. Usually it takes feeding the other half of the split phase back at the breaker to kill it, but they are mechanical and do sometimes just die.

-rick