Who to call to cut marble for sink

Users who are viewing this thread

vickii

Reaction score
I have 2aging cracked cultured marble sinks integrated into a fairly presentable marble counter top. I would like to cut out the sinks and install new sinks. Who would I call to get this done--what type of profession does this?
Thanks for any info

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are they actually bonded seamlessly to the top (does it look like a single piece), or attached with a small overhang (what looks like an undermounted sink)? Did you take a look underneath and see if there were any clamps or screws holding the sink to the top? If bonded seamlessly, it may be cheaper to just replace the entire top. Don't know for sure...give more details.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
marble

Is the counter top also cultured marble? If so then any somewhat adept tradesman can cut around the old sink, as long as the resultant hole is smaller than any sink you wish to install. If the old sink is too large to cut out and still leave a usable hole then you will have to replace the top also. If it is a real marble top with cultured marble sinks, which would be unusual, then the two are merely glued together and should separate with a bit of judiciously applied force.

vickii

Reaction score
Counter clarification

The sinks and counter are one unit --all cultured marble. Between the sinks there is a tall cabinet from counter to near the ceiling. The whole length is about 8 feet. I'm not sure what type of tradesperson to contact.

Thanks for your input!

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It would be my guess that it is molded as one unit.

I have a good friend who was in the business of making cultured marble, and have spent some time in his plant and others others around the US.

Personally, I am not a fan of cultured marble. I would doubt that anyone can cut out the sinks and leave you with anything workable. CM unlike other solid surface products only has a finished surface a fraction of an inch thick. It is not every repairable, to say the least.

One option would be to cut the sinks out, and replace with drop in sinks which would cover the opening.

Paul

vickii

Reaction score
My hope is to cut out the sinks and drop sinks the over hang the counter in.

It seems that this is possible but who do I contact to cut the opening?

Will any sink that fits the opening work or are there other issues that need to be considered?

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I would suspect that just about any plumber could do the job. It is a material which is easily cut.

Your first challenge will be to determine what the minimum size hole is that can be cut out to remove the existing sink. Then, what sinks are available that will accommodate the available space (which may be larger than the hole which will be left after removing the existing sink) of your top, taking into consideration the plumbing requirements on the bottom side.

Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the one-piece vanity tops I've seen have the front of the bowl quite close to the front edge of the top. If yours is that way, I doubt you'd be able to put a drop-in sink in the resulting hole. Take careful measurements, and be prepared to just bite the bullet and replace the entire top, or leave it alone.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Cultured marble basically can be worked almost like wood. Chain saw, Dremel tool, anything in between. Howver, several good points were made in the above posts. Overall, I suspect that it would be less expensive to just get a new top. If it is a standard size it will be very reasonable. Even custom is not that expensive.

Ron6519

Reaction score
Vickii, look in the phonebook under "marble". You will see companies that fabricate marble and granite counters. Call them to see if they will work on your cultured top.
Ron

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I've cut CM walls for tub/shower surrounds with a Rotozip and a tile bit. Whiles it cuts with relative ease, it would be my guess that to cut out the exisiting bowls is going to leave you with too big of an opening for drop in lavs. Check it out, but weigh the cost difference with just getting a new top.

Rio

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks