Who to call for code?

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeVila

Reaction score
Who do you call to ask if something is allowed or code legal in your area? Can you just call a plumbing business and ask or do they not like that? Just don't know who your supposed to call to ask a question like that? I want to call and find out if I can use transition cement for ABS to pvc or do I need to use no hub couplings. Thx.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You local building department will have information on plumbing codes.
You will be able to buy a permit and talk to the local plumbing inspector.
They can be very helpful.

It's what we do.
When I was plumbing meat markets around Puget Sound, it was the first call I made. Sure I had approved plans, but it was important to talk to each inspector in each city to find out what he expected. I think I plumbed eight of them for the same grocery store, and all eight were plumbed a little different.

You will need to use shielded couplings to transition between ABS and PVC
Mike, it would help a lot if you put down your location on your profile.

proflex.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here in San Diego, the permit office has "homeowner" Saturday hours where you can take plans in for review and just ask questions.

If you find out what code you are under, then lots of pretty good advice can be had on the forum, but the last word is always the "local book" so to speak.

MikeVila

Reaction score
Sorry, I thought I had my location listed. It actually said Virginia when I looked up just now. LOL, I am in Southeastern, Ohio. I actually already have the couplings and transition cement. I guess I will try to call tomorrow. I just assembled and glued my waste/overflow and would like to get the rest of the plumbing glued tomorrow. Hard to get a whole lot done between work/babysitting while the wife works. Good thing we got 2 baths lol. Thx guys. Hopefully there open tomorrow. I just didn't know if it was inappropriate to call and ask questions or what. Have a good one.;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks