Status
Not open for further replies.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Speedy Petey said:
I truly hope this question was sarcastic.

No, I truly wonder what you believe was wrong about Bob using these:

Attachments

• fisklopp.gif
    fisklopp.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 556
R

Rancher

hj said:
The reason being that without the meter, creative types will connect to the hubs with alligator clips and "steal" the electricity, or install their own meter between readings to do the same thing.
That's way too much work, just turn the meter upside down, they used to run backwards, not sure if they still do or not...

Rancher

R

Rancher

Fiberglass tree limb loppers is exactly what it looked like to me when I had the electric company change my meter location, they did it all live, and did crimp connectors, and all for an underground fed panel. They did have gloves on also.

They were probably more expensive loppers...

Rancher

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
THE BIG DIFFERENCE. Cable cutters are designed and tested for the purpose, I DOUBT the trimmers were tested and DEFINENTLY not designed for the purpose. They could have had metal reinforcing rods in the handle, for one.

R

Rancher

BrianJohn said:
They could have had metal reinforcing rods in the handle, for one.
Yes they could have... I've never seen them like that, but it's possible.

I agree you should use the correct tool for the job, but don't go overboard.

Rancher

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
BrianJohn said:
THE BIG DIFFERENCE. Cable cutters are designed and tested for the purpose, I DOUBT the trimmers were tested and DEFINENTLY not designed for the purpose. They could have had metal reinforcing rods in the handle, for one.

To say that pruning tool was not "designed" (intended) for cutting live wires is certainly correct, but given the physical capabilities of the tool and its known-potential use for cutting branches away from live wires, it would be impossible for me to believe the manufacturer did not make absolutely sure those handles were not conductive and that Bob did not know they were completely safe.

Who decides what is the right or correct tool for any job?

Some folks learn (the hard way) by trial and error.
Some folks (the teachable ones) learn from others.
Some folks assume manufacturers and/or testing labs know best.
Some folks gain experience from any and/or all of the above and, with knowledge and planning, are ultimately able to decide for themselves.

Have you ever seen a 7-1/4" carbide-tip saw blade mounted backwards on a 4" grinder? I hope not. Nevertheless, I had a certain job to do a few weeks ago ... and that combination was definitely the right/correct tool to use for that specific job on that day, but only *after* I had spent about an hour just holding it (unplugged) and going over every bit of possible trouble I could bring to mind (knowledge) and how to do what needed to be done without getting hurt (planning).

Have you ever seen a welder used to remove a bearing cone from inside a hub?

Truly, there is no better tool for doing *that* job!

Correctness and/or rightness of tools is occasionally subjective.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Speedy Petey said:
Maybe so....but NOT in this case.

Why not? What is your reasoning?

480sparky said:
You could always be one of these guys ...

That is one of my favorite never-do-this pictures, but it is not in the category presently being discussed. Bob used a well-made tool to do what is was designed to do: cut.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While the loppers may be insulated and may have work this time, they were not designed for that use and I can guarantee they were never tested and rated for conductivity at all, never mind for use as a live wire cutting tool.

Something that worked today may not work tomorrow due to a minor change in something as simple as humidity where the tool was being stored.

How much voltage and amperage are they rated for??????

People die from electrocution all the time because they think that they are insulated while working with electricity and find out the hard way that they are not.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Speedy Petey said:
I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS EVEN BEING DEBATED!!!! :mad: :mad:

There is no debate here, at least not on my part. I have only been asking what you believe was wrong about Bob's specific use of that particular cutting tool. Believe this or not, and along with whatever else: I am here to learn.

Cass said:
I can guarantee they were never tested and rated for conductivity at all ...

I will write to the manufacturer and ask about that. Once again: My suspicion is that the cutters were engineered to be non-conductive in the event of someone trimming near wires unintentionally getting into one.

I talked with a multi-licensed and well-seasoned electrician about all of this earlier today, and he saw no problem with what Bob did. In that electrician's view of things, the right/correct tool was used if the job got done sans any damage (even to the tool) or personal injury.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Here is the question I just sent to Fiskar, and since we all know their cutters are not intended for cutting any wires (live or not), the question I asked is only about incidental contact with a live wire:

---
Greetings.
While trimming around electrical wires, would any of your loppers be safer than others in the event of nicking a wire?
Thank you,
Joe
---

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
leejosepho said:
I talked with a multi-licensed and well-seasoned electrician about all of this earlier today, and he saw no problem with what Bob did. In that electrician's view of things, the right/correct tool was used if the job got done sans any damage (even to the tool) or personal injury.
Well then all I can say is this licensed, well seasoned electrician strongly disagrees with him.
Not much more I can say.

BrianJohn

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
for me to believe the manufacturer did not make absolutely sure those handles were not conductive and that Bob did not know they were completely safe.

HORSE HOCKEY...All I can say in light of your ignorance in this matter is PLEASE continue to do this type of work, we need a few more OH LOOK HE's FRIED videos

Livin4Real

Reaction score
BoDean,

I just had a new panel installed as well after a close call with a bad main breaker almost caught the house. Total cost including new 200a panel and breakers with install was $650 and the old panel was a complete rats nest. Electrician pulled meter himself and also ran new lines from meter. IMO opinion it was well worth it to pay a pro for something this involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks