White stains and rust on copper pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Going to do a job remodeling a 30-year old house on well water. They want to install a walkin tub for the wife who can't climb the stairs and lives on the first floor.

I'm the project manager/gc and it's a remote job. Will be traveling so I will have to find a local plumber to do the work.

I noticed some nasty white residue at a large number of the joints in the copper. I also saw green rust stains.

They have a water softener.

What is this indicative of? Is the softener not working properly? Poor installation/sweating?

2015-01-31 13.52.14.jpg
2015-01-31 13.52.36.jpg
I wish I took a picture of the water softening setup.

Thanks in advance. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Could be a tiny leak. Could be an action of flux residue. Try washing one of the joints.

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
Ok will try but it's on every joint. I find it hard to believe there would be a pinhole leak on every joint. There's more joints I didn't snap a picture of unfortunately.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds likely it is the flux. I don't know what cleaner I would use, but probably try a steel or brass brush to help.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
That be a mineral deposit..... for that to happen, you have a leak so small it cant be detected. It might only leak once inawhile. Im pretty sure if your pipes frooze at one point, it will stretch the solder joint and weaken it... this would cause it

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
So how would you fix it? Heat up, and resweat the joints? ALL the joints? Or just leave it? I haven't been back down there yet but again, it is well water and they do have a softener...so maybe the softener is not doing its job well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks