White Rodgers 535 Limit Switch Replacement

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Wrex, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Wrex

Wrex New Member

My Mueller furnace's limit switch has just bit the dust and its time for replacement due to erratic operation.

The old switch is a White Rodgers Model 535 that isn't manufactured anymore. It is a combination switch that has both fan and limit functions.

I removed it to check it out and the elements that extend over the bonnet measure 16 inches from the unit to the tip.

I have found a unit that is identical to the old unit.

I have two White Rodgers models for replacement in mind either the:

5A75-5

5A75-12

The 5A75-5 only has a 9 inch element which isn't as long as the old switches elements were.

The 5A75-12 has the same 9 inch element but has a 60 inch capillary so it gives me the extra reach I need.

This is the one I am really considering but I have one concern. Isn't the 60 inches a bit extreme? Would the extra length effect the reaction time of the switch?

The extra capillary would be coiled if I use the 5A75-12.

Here is a link for a visual between models:

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/pdfs/instruction_sheets/0037-0874.pdf

The 5A75-12 is on the left while the 5A75-5 is on the right.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2008