White or stainless steel sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobbyg123

Reaction score
We're having our kitchen updated with new flooring, new garbage disposal, insta-hot, and a new faucet & sink. The current sink is a white Kohler cast iron sink with a white delta (piece of crap) faucet. We've decided on a stainless steel or brushed steel faucet but we're undecided on the sink. All of our current appliances are white, but we're still leaning towards "future proofing" things by getting a stainless steel sink.

I need a some advice. This is not our dream home by any means. We'll be in it for another 2 years or so and then move up. Will the stainless sink and faucet look dumb with white appliances? It's going to be a drop in sink, and I guess the reason why I'm leaning towards stainless is because they're more durable and will allow us to add stainless appliances down the road if one breaks down or if we simply get the urge. I'm stumped on this.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A stainless steel sink will be noisier when running the disposal. I've got a SS undermount sink on a granite counter. For a drop in, I think maybe the CI sink would be better. I really like the undermount - it makes brushing counter stuff into the sink so much easier. Keeping SS looking nice might be an issue, but is possible unless you pick a polished one (those a nearly impossible to keep shiney - too easy to scratch and they show water spots). A CI sink is more likely to shatter your glass that slips than a SS one. On a drop-in, though, the large lip is a pain, but the SS one is always messy as it is hard to keep the edge clean at the counter junction.

Alleycat

Reaction score
My old kitchen had a stainless steel sink and black appliances. My new kitchen has stainless appliances and a white cast iron sink. My sister, who is a slave to decorating fashion, has stainless sink, grey/white stove and white fridge. It never occurred to me to match the sink to the appliances and I've received lots of compliments on both kitchens. So IMO, either would be fine. If you go with stainless sink, quality counts. Ours was cheap and looked it from day one. Just curious - is there a reason you're switching out the white cast iron sink and not just updating the faucet?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
If you go with a white sink, keep in mind that they make a powder coated (or maybe painted) stainless steel disposer drain thing. It looks nice, but the white stuff will start to flake off after a while-1 to 2 years. :( I've got a white sink, it's a composite sink and it's tough to keep clean.

Jason

Alleycat

Reaction score
Our white cast iron sink has stainless strainers so we've not had the paint chipping problem.

As for stains: We have somewhat hard water with (I think) lots of manganese that leave yellowish stains on the white cast iron sink (it's a kohler). Every week or two when the stains build up I sprinkle a light coating of baking soda around the bottom of the sink, leave it for 20 minutes, then take a spray bottle of vinegar and spray enough to coat the baking soda. Let it sit for another 20 minutes or so while the vinegar bubbles up. Then gently scrub/ wipe with a sponge or wet paper towel. Stains are gone with no expensive/ nasty chemical cleaners. Give it a whirl-- I've used just a lemon wedge too.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think white porcelain sinks look great. Anything attached to the sink...faucets, drain flanges, etc......CHROME. Just my opinon.

Agu

Reaction score
I went with a stainless steel sink/ stainless steel faucet and have off white appliances. I am very happy with the combination. The stainless/stainless looks like an integrated unit (sink/faucet colors are slightly different but I'm probably the only one that notices that) and contrasts nicely with the appliances.

Regarding noise take a look at the underside of a stainless sink. They're sound insulated with a couple of strips of high density foam tape. I just bought a roll of similar tape and added it to the bottom of the sink before installation. Works wonders to absorb sound and vibrations.

As jadnashua pointed out the lip is harder to keep clean. That's because we sweep in all but the finest waste into the sink from the counter. Can't do that with a CI sink.

Finally, we put in a single bowl sink in a double bowl hole, it's great for washing larger objects. Unless you hand wash and rinse all your dishes imo there's no need for a double bowl kitchen sink.

just my $.02

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks