Whining coming from capped off pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

fender4645

Reaction score
About 5 years ago, we had a wet bar removed and the contractor capped the pipes inside the wall. This past week, the valve on our water main (the pipe where water comes into the house) broke off. We had someone come out and fix it but we can still hear a whining/whistling coming from the wall that has the capped off pipe. I'm assuming it's air in the pipes. We've ran the water in every faucet in the house, turned on every shower, and flushed every toilet. Is there any way to make the noise go away??

fender4645

Reaction score
Do you have a PRV in the system? Sometimes those make noise.

Thanks for the reply, Terry. Excuse my ignorance but where would the PRV be? In the wall where it was capped? Or the main valve where the water comes into the house?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
PRV is always my first suspect. Check the house pressure downstream of the prv and see if it's "normal", that is below 80lb and stable. Other possibilities include showers and outside spigots with defective vacuum breakers. A plumbing job from five years ago doesn't look much like a smoking gun to me. Check the expansion tank also to make sure it's still good while you're at it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The pressure reducing valve is on the incoming cold, sometimes where the shutoff is.
Tracking sound is tricky. Is there a faucet nearby left open like a garden hose?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks