Which way/direction does the PVB Test Cock needs to be facing?

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by greenbaypackersfan, Apr 12, 2010.

1. greenbaypackersfan

greenbaypackersfan New Member

Hi,
    Now that the Sprinkler System has been properly turned on, I was wondering which way should the PVB test cock needs to be facing.
    Mine looks almost like this one here in the link below
    http://www.aceflowcontrol.com/pvb01natural.jpg

As you can see, the PVB Test cocks are below the PVB on the right and has 2 of them. Each of the PVB T.C. has 2 screws and both in the direction of an " I " . I was told that it needs to be in the " I " direction during the spring and fall season and after you winterized it, needs to turn these scres to " ---" direction to open them? While keeping the valves in the same flow direction as the pipes in the spring/summer and in 45 degree angle in the winter.

is that correct? Please educate me

thanks
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

When the "handle" is parallel to it's pipe the valve is OPEN. When it is perpendicular to it's pipe, the valve is CLOSED.
  3. greenbaypackersfan

^ No, I believe you are referring to the vavle on the pipe, I'm talking about the PVB Test Cocks. The little screws on the PVB Tests
  4. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 Irrigation Contractor

These are easy. If there is water coming out of the test cocks they are open. If you turn them (with a slot screwdriver) so that the water stops, they are closed.

Mick
  5. greenbaypackersfan

lol I know the "I" in the screw slot means closed. During the spring/summer season, they need to be closed, but what about the winter time when the system has been winterized? Do I keep it closed or open them?
  6. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 Irrigation Contractor

The same as all Ball valves, keep them at 45Deg. - 1/2 open, 1/2 closed. I would also put a cover over it to keep out small critters and dirt, snow.

Mick