which water softener

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by g-lo, May 25, 2012.

1. g-lo

g-lo New Member

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right forums. I've been searching online for different brands and water softeners and I don't really know what to look for or which one to get.

I currently live in Las Vegas and the water is pretty hard. I have a baby coming soon and my mother wants us to get a softener for the house. Our house is about 1600sf, 2 adults and a baby soon. We have visitors every month.

I've only had a Kinetico sales guy come to the house and I really like that it doesn't use electricity. But I dont like the price tag.

Any suggestions/opinions/recommendations?

Thank you all
  2. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

How hard is the water? I take it that you are on city water. Fleck or Clack would be a good choice.
  3. g-lo

g-lo New Member

i got this off our water website.
    The hardness of Las Vegas Valley Water District water is about 298 parts per million (ppm) or 17.4 grains per gallon

also when the kinetico did the water test it was pretty high. i just dont remember the number.
  4. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Vegas area ranges from 15-30 GPG. I have a great friend in Vegas who can take care of you at a very reasonable price. Let me know and I will forward you his information.
  5. F6Hawk

F6Hawk New Member

I, too, was turned off by Kinetico's prices, tho the pros here say they are a good product. But if I can get a comparable product at half the price.... well, I did.

And the electricity you save, you could just as easily save by unplugging a phone charger that stays plugged in 24/7 instead of just when you are charging.
  6. g-lo

g-lo New Member

Which one did you get?
  7. F6Hawk

F6Hawk New Member

I went with the 7000SXT 1.5 cu ft. Love it!!
  8. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

9. g-lo

g-lo New Member

10. F6Hawk

F6Hawk New Member

But for a little under $700, I can do the same thing (nothing but add salt). Truth is, however, sometimes I sneak down to the basement while no one is looking just to see that soft blue light on the 7000SXT, and watch for that little water drop symbol to show up. Quality alone time!!
  11. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Preaching to the choir.............