Which Toto toilet for my small bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

RoseCampion

Reaction score
We've got one small bathroom in our condo. Since we moved in two years ago I've been suffering a toilet that can hardly flush a small wad of toilet paper in one flush.

A bit of research has made me pretty much decided on a Toto toilet, but I run into a problem here, because as far as I can tell, I need a toilet with a round bowl and a ten inch rough in, a truly compact toilet. The measurement from the tile wall to the center of the bolts is 10 1/2". I've looked at the Vespins and other toilets with the valve adapter and those would appear to be too big overall. The measurement from wall to rim of toilet bowl on the current model is only 24" or so and I'd find it hard to go much bigger. The total dimension of the bathroom is only five by seven foot.

Is there a Toto toilet for me or am I going to have to go with a different brand? And if so, which one? All I want is a toilet that will work, in my small space.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Five by seven is pretty normal, at least normal in depth.

The seven long is pretty tight for shoulders.
That would give you 30" for the tub, 30" for the toilet and 24" for the lav cabinet.

With a 10-1/2" rough-in, center of drain to wall, you would have to use a 10" toilet.
If it's 10-1/2" to the floor mold, then you may be able to use a 12" bowl.
The Drake works at 10-7/8"

The elongated Vespin with the 10" Unifit would be 29.25" from the wall to the end of the bowl.

The Cadet 3 with 10" tank round front would be 26-3/4" from wall to end of bowl.

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited:

jbclem

Reaction score
Excuse my jumping in, but I wanted to clarify something that Terry said, since I have a similar space problem and want to use the Toto Drake.

Terry, when you say the Drake works at 10 7/8", do you mean 10 7/8" from the wall or from the floor molding? And is that with the tank flush to the wall, or with a gap between the tank and the wall.

Also, the Drake is listed as having a 12" rough in. How does that translate to 10 7/8"? I have 10 7/8" to the molding and about 11 1/8" to the wall, so I want to be sure.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The amount of space behind a toilet is not standard and can vary from non-existent to rather large. Take a look at the spec sheet, it should become obvious.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Excuse my jumping in, but I wanted to clarify something that Terry said, since I have a similar space problem and want to use the Toto Drake.

Terry, when you say the Drake works at 10 7/8", do you mean 10 7/8" from the wall or from the floor molding? And is that with the tank flush to the wall, or with a gap between the tank and the wall.

Also, the Drake is listed as having a 12" rough in. How does that translate to 10 7/8"? I have 10 7/8" to the molding and about 11 1/8" to the wall, so I want to be sure.

John

This drawing may help
Drake.JPG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks