Which to buy! Retrospect Drake Cadet 3

Users who are viewing this thread

jagmorr

Reaction score
Hi,
Can I get some advice please. We have an 1890's Victorian home. We wanted a new traditional style toilet. I am finding that the Victorian antique style toilets do not seem to work as well as the more modern looking ones. Are there any "antique looking" toilets that are as well made as some of the contemporary style ones. All my research is telling me the Toto Drake and the American Standard Cadet 3 are the best but they don't have the old style! I mention the Cadet 3 only because I read it is compariable to the Toto Drake but less expensive. I like the American Standard Retrospect very much. I would pay the extra money if it cleaned, flushed, and worked as well as it looked. Please help! I have read about toilets for a solid week. I can't take much more. :eek: I need advice! Thanks, Jagmorr

SamC

Reaction score
Toto has other models with the same flushing system as the Drake. Check out the Clayton, Dartmouth, Mercer, or Whitney, to see if one of them has the style you are looking for. Better yet, have a look at the Guinevere.

mercer_lid_down.jpg

Toto Mercer

abak_guinevere.jpg

TOTO Guinevere pedestal lav and toilet suite

Last edited by a moderator:

jagmorr

Reaction score
Whitney?

Toto Whitney
Hi SamC,
Thank you for answering me. That was my next question. I like the Toto Whitney. I found a local supplier for Toto's. He can get me a Whitney. I would just like to hear everyone's thoughts on the Toto Whitney in comparison to the Toto Drake. Also, are the parts in the Toto's hard to replace and how expensive? Thank you! Jagmorr

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the Toto toilets use parts available at your local Lowes and are inexpensive. I do not know about the Aquia or the Neorest (sp?).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Toto Whitney
The Whitney uses the Dartmouth bowl, and a Whitney tank.
The fill valve and flapper are the same as the Drake.
The handle is a little different.

It works like the Drake.

SamC

Reaction score
cst784_01.jpg

Toto Clayton

Toto uses the G-Max flushing system on both one and two-piece toilets. The two-piece toilets perform somewhat better because the level of the water in the tank is higher, providing higher head pressure. Since toilets are assembled from pieces of wet pottery and shrink considerably when they are fired, no two are exactly alike. So there will be some variation in performance, even among toilets of the same model. Of the G-Max toilets, Terry’s list shows the Drake flushes 900 grams, the Dartmouth 900 grams, the Baldwin (Clayton) 675, the Carrolton 700. I have not seen specific test data on the Whitney. But consider that the average human stool is less than 250 grams, and the EPA standard for flushing capability is 350 grams. Whether the Whitney flushes 900 grams like the Drake, or 675 grams like the Clayton, that is still 1 ½ pounds of poop, plenty of margin.

Livin4Real

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
Most of the Toto toilets use parts available at your local Lowes and are inexpensive. I do not know about the Aquia or the Neorest (sp?).

Went and picked up our new Toto Ultramax today, while waiting for it to be brought up looked at the neorest and about fell over when I saw the price tag. I think it was around $3000 :eek:

Mort

Reaction score
Livin4Real said:
Went and picked up our new Toto Ultramax today, while waiting for it to be brought up looked at the neorest and about fell over when I saw the price tag. I think it was around $3000 :eek:

Good sale price;) They had one set up for demonstration in the local supply house (at least I'm pretty sure it was the neorest) and it scared the beegebers out of me when I walked by and the lid opened automatically.

Mort

Alex47

Reaction score
Mort said:
Good sale price;) They had one set up for demonstration in the local supply house (at least I'm pretty sure it was the neorest) and it scared the beegebers out of me when I walked by and the lid opened automatically.

Mort

Neorest.....,most recent sign pointing to the Decline of Civilization as we know it.

I was in a Bonefish Grill the other night, the lemon wedge had a little mesh cap on it, so you wouldn't get pulp or seed on the fish. Somebody is making a living producing shower caps for lemons.........we're done for.

neo_600_top.jpg

Livin4Real

Reaction score
I was in a Bonefish Grill the other night, the lemon wedge had a little mesh cap on it, so you wouldn't get pulp or seed on the fish. Somebody is making a living producing shower caps for lemons.........we're done for.

LOL, but their bang-bang shrimp rocks!

crybarber

Reaction score
hello,
i really like the look of the toto mercer. how does it perform? gram rating?

The Mercer should perform very much like the Drake.
Terry

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Just because you have a Neorest does not mean you will remember to change the toilet paper.

Evidently a bachelor-owner. You don't make that mistake in a married household.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks