Which to buy! Retrospect Drake Cadet 3

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jagmorr, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jagmorr

jagmorr New Member

Hi,
    Can I get some advice please. We have an 1890's Victorian home. We wanted a new traditional style toilet. I am finding that the Victorian antique style toilets do not seem to work as well as the more modern looking ones. Are there any "antique looking" toilets that are as well made as some of the contemporary style ones. All my research is telling me the Toto Drake and the American Standard Cadet 3 are the best but they don't have the old style! I mention the Cadet 3 only because I read it is compariable to the Toto Drake but less expensive. I like the American Standard Retrospect very much. I would pay the extra money if it cleaned, flushed, and worked as well as it looked. Please help! I have read about toilets for a solid week. I can't take much more. :eek: I need advice! Thanks, Jagmorr
  2. SamC

SamC Member

Toto has other models with the same flushing system as the Drake. Check out the Clayton, Dartmouth, Mercer, or Whitney, to see if one of them has the style you are looking for. Better yet, have a look at the Guinevere.

[​IMG]
    Toto Mercer

[​IMG]
    TOTO Guinevere pedestal lav and toilet suite
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
  3. jagmorr

jagmorr New Member

Whitney?

[​IMG]
    Toto Whitney
    Hi SamC,
    Thank you for answering me. That was my next question. I like the Toto Whitney. I found a local supplier for Toto's. He can get me a Whitney. I would just like to hear everyone's thoughts on the Toto Whitney in comparison to the Toto Drake. Also, are the parts in the Toto's hard to replace and how expensive? Thank you! Jagmorr
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Most of the Toto toilets use parts available at your local Lowes and are inexpensive. I do not know about the Aquia or the Neorest (sp?).
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Toto Whitney
    The Whitney uses the Dartmouth bowl, and a Whitney tank.
    The fill valve and flapper are the same as the Drake.
    The handle is a little different.

It works like the Drake.
  6. SamC

SamC Member

[​IMG]
    Toto Clayton

Toto uses the G-Max flushing system on both one and two-piece toilets. The two-piece toilets perform somewhat better because the level of the water in the tank is higher, providing higher head pressure. Since toilets are assembled from pieces of wet pottery and shrink considerably when they are fired, no two are exactly alike. So there will be some variation in performance, even among toilets of the same model. Of the G-Max toilets, Terry’s list shows the Drake flushes 900 grams, the Dartmouth 900 grams, the Baldwin (Clayton) 675, the Carrolton 700. I have not seen specific test data on the Whitney. But consider that the average human stool is less than 250 grams, and the EPA standard for flushing capability is 350 grams. Whether the Whitney flushes 900 grams like the Drake, or 675 grams like the Clayton, that is still 1 ½ pounds of poop, plenty of margin.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2008
  7. Livin4Real

Livin4Real New Member

Went and picked up our new Toto Ultramax today, while waiting for it to be brought up looked at the neorest and about fell over when I saw the price tag. I think it was around $3000 :eek:
  8. Mort

Mort New Member

Good sale price;) They had one set up for demonstration in the local supply house (at least I'm pretty sure it was the neorest) and it scared the beegebers out of me when I walked by and the lid opened automatically.

Mort
  9. Alex47

Alex47 New Member

Neorest.....,most recent sign pointing to the Decline of Civilization as we know it.

I was in a Bonefish Grill the other night, the lemon wedge had a little mesh cap on it, so you wouldn't get pulp or seed on the fish. Somebody is making a living producing shower caps for lemons.........we're done for.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2008
  10. Livin4Real

Livin4Real New Member

LOL, but their bang-bang shrimp rocks!
  11. crybarber

crybarber New Member

hello,
    i really like the look of the toto mercer. how does it perform? gram rating?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  12. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Just because you have a Neorest does not mean you will remember to change the toilet paper.

Evidently a bachelor-owner. You don't make that mistake in a married household.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009