Which stop valve do I use?

Users who are viewing this thread

PM5K

Reaction score
This question is in regards to stop valves for a bathroom sink.

I'm used to seeing either one of the following:

Copper supply, use compression fitting

Galvanized Steel, use threaded fitting

The current configuration is a copper supply with a threaded brass (can't be copper right?) end soldered on.

So what exactly do I do with this, buy a threaded brass stop valve?

Thanks in advance!

TMB9862

Reaction score
Use a 3/8" or 1/2" IPS by 3/8 compression valve. Brass and copper pipe threads are the same size as iron pipe threads.

PM5K

Reaction score
I didn't think I could use a compression valve.

Here is what they look like for the record, although this isn't the one in question, it's the same:

1004654mw6.jpg

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It appears that you have a 1/2" copper male adapter...you will use a 1/2" IPS X 3/8" compression angel stop and I would suggest a 1/4 turn stop. Use Teflon tape on the threads.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
3/8" compression is probably the most commonly used size outlet for faucets, dishwashers, and toilets. 1/4" compression would be used for icemakers, point of use water filters, and hot water dispensers.

What do you have in mind?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
sorry I'm busy right now sorting out a box of left and right 16D galvanized spikes.

PM5K

Reaction score
Can you use a stop valve with a compression outlet by just screwing braided stainless supply line into it OR say using a copper or chrome plate supply line that's put on via a compression fitting, or is a compression stop valve only meant to be use one way?

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Use this type of connector it will thread right onto the valve. The one shown below is for toilets.

Note: Do Not Buy the the Watts Floodsafe Connectors that big orange box pushes.

3812TSS.jpg

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If any of you would like me to go to the storeroom and ask the bloke there for a left-handed anything, then please let me know.

PM5K

Reaction score
Thanks, sorry for being such a noob, I've actually done this a few times before, but I saw what I was expecting to see, this time I didn't.

What's this left hand joke?

:)

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's something we like to do to apprentices. Send them to the truck for a left hand pipe wrench, then wait to see how long they are gone. It carries over to all the trades.

rpaquet

Reaction score
It appears that you have a 1/2" copper male adapter...you will use a 1/2" IPS X 3/8" compression angel stop and I would suggest a 1/4 turn stop. Use Teflon tape on the threads.

That fitting in the previous picture shows a similar type on a new shower valve I put in. I just got around to checking today and I have some leaks. I used teflon tape. Will the leaks stop eventually?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You used a connector like the one I pictured above to install a shower valve?

The one I pictured is for a toilet! It is not supposed to be used inside a wall.
The leak will not stop thats pretty much guaranteed...
Can you post a picture of it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks