Which soldering torch....

Users who are viewing this thread

French_guy

Reaction score
Hello

I'm not a professional plumber, but may have to do occasional copper/copper and copper/brass sweating
Which of the torches available at Home Depot (Bernzomatic) would you recommend?
For copper to brass, do I need MAP ?
I was looking at the TS4000 (propane/Map) or TS3000 (propane only)

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
My Bernzomatic from early on is very intermittent lighting. I bought a Worthington LT91, and it is first time every time so far.

The LT91 is undersized for much copper sweating, but I expect a similar model with a bigger burner head would do that very well.

Reaction score
DIY should not use Mapp gas, you can burn the copper within seconds. The copper turns powdery red, evaporates the flux, and the solder beads off it.

DIY *should* get a Trigger Start Torch Head, it is much safer, and let's you keep constant heat during sweat jobs as you re-ignite faster from flame blow-outs.

Once you use Trigger Start's you'll never go back to legacy flint lighters.

Reaction score
Sweating does not require a lot of skill and a DIY can do a good job, but you MUST practice.

Get an extra length of copper pipe and a handful of fittings, it'll cost about $10, and let you practice sweating at least a dozen times before you get it right.

You don't want the permanent final sweating for your home to be the "practice one".

Cooper-pipe-repair.jpg

Stuff

Reaction score
More expensive but I was recommended the TurboTorch STK-99 a couple years ago. It does the job for basic propane copper sweating.

French_guy

Reaction score
Here is my very first attempt (with the copper cap)
The second attempt is with the brass PEX fitting
Does it look good? Something I'm doing wrong?

IMG_1477.JPG
IMG_1479.JPG
IMG_1481.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG

Reaction score
I promise it'll look better after you do it 20 times, it'll be worth the $5 in copper parts.

If you think you've become an expert on the 2nd attempt, then go ahead and close up the drywall and tile and let that put you to sleep at night.

Reach4

Reaction score
Three look good to me, and IMG_1479.JPG may be good also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks