Which size closet flange do I need????

Users who are viewing this thread

Danno1325

Reaction score
Hello - I am remodeling my bathroom and I removed the existing PVC closet flange before I replaced all the subfloor in the room. I went to Lowes and bought a new 4x3 closet flange with the metal reinforced ring. When I tried to install it I found that the new flange neither fit over or inside of the existing closet bend. I did find a 3" flange that will fit inside the bend but is that what I need or will it be too restrictive? Should I install a bigger closet bend like a 4x3 and go with the 4" closet flange? The old toilet and flange leaked around the wax seal and ruined the flooring in the bathroom. I would like to fix any corners that were cut in construction (if any) so this doesnt happen again. Thanks for the advice, this forum is a life saver for a diy guy like me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
without a picture, and some dimensions, we have absolutely no idea what you have or what you need. And HOW did you remove the old flange, because that could be part of your problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Typically, the drain pipe would be either 3" or 4" for this application. But there is an elbow that is a 4x3. On a 3" pipe, you do NOT really want to use an internal flange (one that fits on the inside of the pipe). They do work on 4", though. You don't really want to neck down a 3" pipe by putting the thing inside. Hard to say without seeing what's there now what is going on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks