Which Pump and Generator Combination?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by andyrud, May 31, 2011.

1. andyrud

andyrud New Member

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and need some advice.

I have an 80 foot deep well but the water is 5 foot from the top. I can suck or draft 20+ GPM and never run out of water. I have a water tank that's 1200 feet away and 140 feet above the well top. I also DO NOT have any power at the well sight so I must use a portable generator. I need at least 10 to 12 GPM in order to fill the 3000 gallon water tank in a reasonable time. Any suggestions as to what pump? I want a quality pump as I am way out in no ware land, up in the mountains. I was thinking about using a honda 3000 generator.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated !!
    Thanks in advance,
    Andy-
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

A 10 GPM, 1/2 HP submersible will give you 10 GPM from about 160'. That is a very common size pump and will easily work on that generator. As to which brand is best, I think they are all crap. They are made to sell, not to last. I use to think Franklin motors were the best, and they may still be. But I have been waiting for 4 weeks just to get Franklin to look at a warranty motor. They use to warranty any motor within reason. Now they put you off forever, and then try to deny a warranty anyway they can. Look for the best price you can get for that size pump, because you will probably have to replace it on a regular basis, no matter what brand it is.
  3. andyrud

andyrud New Member

Thanks for the reply Valveman.

Wow! You really sound frustrated. It sounds like the pump industry is going the way of most everything else in this country. Anyway,

I was looking at the Betta Flo pump. It seems to have the Franklin motor. Can you give me any recommendations on pumps?

The Grainger Datton pumps are easy to get. Are they any good?
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

They are as good as any of them these days. The Betta Flo is another copy of the Grundfos, which there are many of. Just Google "1/2 HP, 10 GPM submersible" and take your pick. I no longer think a Franklin motor is worth any extra money.

I found a Berkerley for $305.00. I wouldn't pay much more than that.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

The bigger crap is in the generators! At least with Briggs or Kohler you can get parts from a human in wisconsin.

Those 300$ chinese junkers that look good are disposable like paper cups. And your Honda is chinese too, though with some support.

Look into an inverter that runs off the truck.