Which Manufacturer?

Users who are viewing this thread

wagoneer89

Reaction score
One or two years ago our kitchen sink faucet had a problem and rather than repair it, I decided to upgrade to a more convenient form factor. I also decided not to go with the our homes original "Aged Copper" theme and went for the "brushed stainless" figuring that later changes in the kitchen would be easier if the colors were more "generic". I chose a Price Pfister Ashfield 529.T529 Series Single Control Faucet in brushed stainless.

This week our island prep sink failed and I thought that finally I would get to swap out the remaining Aged Copper fixture for brushed stainless and complete the set. After some research and a call to Price Pfister I was disappointed to learn that while the Ashfield collection does have a number of examples of prep/bar faucets, they are all in finishes other than brushed stainless.

My stepfather was an architect. I remember in the mid sixties he would go to his catalogs and order what was needed for additions to buildings that he had designed years earlier. It seems to me he was able to reorder the same exact units so that these additions were virtually indistinguishable from the original construction. I remember he depended on Kohler and American Standard.

If I should ever have to live in another house for which I may want to change kitchen fixtures, which manufacturer keeps its styles and finishes consistent over a long period of time so that they do not become obsolete quickly simply as a matter of style?

Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Today....that is not going to happen, except with some of the instututional brands like Chicago and T&S. The public's tastes, and the demands of the marketing departments, demand frequent new styles and finishes.

Kohler and AmStd may be the ones if any. Delta, and PP used to have some "old standby" models, but that is not really true anymore. And with all the brands, availability of finishes varies from year to year. White and PB used to be the "fashion" finishes. Good luck trying to find those today.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the 60's your father also had a limited selection of vehicles to choose from. Times, and tastes, change and the manufacturers change with them. They produce what will sell. They are in the business to MAKE MONEY, NOT produce what you would like them to make even if they did not sell many of them.

wagoneer89

Reaction score
Actually he bought a Jaguar that he picked up in Coventry England and a VW he picked up in Germany, I think if you were to compare the number of auto manufacturers available to you in the 60's to the number we have now, you would probably find that there were more manufactures then, particularly if you don't count todays exotic super cars. We're about to lose Mercury too. Thanks to both of you for the broader view of the industry, it's exactly what I have been experiencing and precisly what I wanted to confirm. It's within the realm of possibility that I have bought my last faucet anyway, but I do appreciate the info.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HE did not have the choice of dozens of Japanese models, several Korean ones, and maybe soon some from China. One person I knew back then also bought a Jaguar. He had a problem with the engine and when he checked with the dealer he was told there was a defect, and the engine was on its way back to England. Six months later it was returned and he got his car back.

Last edited:

wagoneer89

Reaction score
HJ,

Point conceded... I checked with my car guys and was directed to this website.
http://www.carsplusplus.com/years/index.php
While there are defiantly discrepancies between the definition of "model" between the listings in '65 (the early year i checked for comparison) and now, I concede the point. There are more models now.

Thanks for opening my eyes! (Geeze, and I thought I was a car guy!)

Bill

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks