Which is best, a 1 inch standard wax ring or 3/4 inch standard wax ring

Users who are viewing this thread

Buffalo2

Reaction score
Based on my measurements using a flange with my toilet laying on its side, when the toilet is resting on the floor (flange sits in top of finished floor), there will be a 3/16 inch space between the flange and the underside of the toilet. I bought two standard wax rings. One is one inch thick (oatey brand) and the other is 3/4 inch (proflo brand and my toilet is Proflo). Which would you use? I don't want there to be too much wax, but I do not want too little either. My gut says 3/4 which leaves plenty of room for compression. My only thought with the 1 inch ring is that when compressed if there is a lot of extra wax it could fall into and or obstruct the drain.

Thoughts? Which would you use. My measurements for the wax rings and space between the flange and underside of the toilet are very accurate.

Thank you

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you measured is irrelevant. What counts is the height of the flange.

So to answer your question: both 3/4" and 1" wax rings are good, depending on your situation.

BTW, I've seen instances where 2 rings were needed, for a too low flange.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The regular one is fine if your flange is on top of the finished floor. We prefer the ones without the plastic insert.

And be sure that, regardless of the toilet's instructions, you put the ring on the flange on the floor like plumbers do and then set the toilet down on top of it. If you feel it "smush", then you're set. Push straight down without rocking it.

And, for what it's worth, that both your toilet and ring are Proflow is meaningless. Wax rings are pretty generic.

Buffalo2

Reaction score
Neither ring has the plastic bell or horn. The only difference is 1/4 in their thickness. Being that the space between the flange and the bottom of the toilet once seated is 3/16 on an inch I was looking for advice as to which wax ring I should use, the 1 inch or 3/4 inch.

Thanks

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
\I was looking for advice as to which wax ring I should use, the 1 inch or 3/4 inch.

Huh. I thought "the regular one is fine" was "advice as to which wax ring [you] should use".

It's not an issue of you measuring the gap between the bottom of the toilet and the top of the flange. You told us the flange was on top of the finished floor. That's all we needed to know to tell you to use the regular one. However, the world wouldn't come to an end if you used the bigger one, except that you would be smushing a 1/4" more of wax into places it didn't need to go. You don't want the wax ring just touching the other end of the gap -- having some extra is a good idea. However, if the flange is on top of the finished floor, the 3/4" ring would be more than enough to more than fill the gap.

You're overthinking this.

Buffalo2

Reaction score
Thank you. Any tips on how you tighten the flange bolts?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As long as the wax seal is thicker than the gap between the bowl and the flange, either will be okay. You tighten the bolts with a 7/16" box wrench. Or to answer your question, as posted, you tighten them until they are tight.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's better to use your weight to smush the toilet into the wax until the toilet touches the floor. Then, it's just snug up the bolts to help hold it there. Then, in most places, code requires the base/floor junction to be caulked at least 3/4'rs of the way around, leaving a gap at the back (although some places want it caulked all the way around). That probably holds things more securely than the bolts, which help ensure you got it centered.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks