Which gas water heater would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

ronnieray

Reaction score
Whirlpool 6th Sense 40-Gallon 9-Year Short Gas Water Heater or the
Rheem Performance Plus 40 gal. Short 9 Year 38,000 BTU High Efficiency

Thanks for the help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Whatever my wholesaler is selling at the time. But, at this time he has both Ruud, which is the same as Rheem and American, which manufactures the Whirlpool, so it would be a wash depending on which is less expensive.

ronnieray

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I think I will go with the Rheem since it is a little more energy efficient and it seems that the choice is a wash otherwise.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Ronnie -

I'm in the same boat. Seems to be per some of the experts comments

I sorta summed up these responses to this.

- Just get the cheapest one you can get in the size you need
- They ALL leak. It's just a matter of when

ronnieray

Reaction score
Finding a good water heater is like finding a good dentist.

This may be true, but at least with a dentist I can see his/her work before committing. With a water heater,you don't see the quality and reliability until after the purchase. That is why I depend on you pros. You have seen and work on all the brands so you have insights that many of us don't have. Thanks everyone for the help.

Now I see that the price of the on demand models have come down quite a bit. What are you thought and experiences with these units? Are there any brands you prefer or those you recommend avoiding? What about the economics?

Chefwong

Reaction score
I considered those but for my application, aside from the unlimited hot water aspect, I don't think it was worth it.....
Google and read and the ~effects~ you have with on demand, maintenance, etc. The information is out there.

Reach4

Reaction score
Now I see that the price of the on demand models have come down quite a bit. What are you thought and experiences with these units?

Note that many have weasel words in the warranty, such as water hardness must be no more than 7 grains. (http://www.takagi.com/media/31647/Tankless-Warranty-Sheet-326119-001.pdf) Tankless units have annual maintenance chores.

There are times when they would be good. They would need a lot of electric power supplied or for gas usually need a big supply line.

Tankless units seem to be less reliable, but they have new styles of tank type that may have similar failure patterns. My tankless comments are based on what I read and not experience.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Finding a good water heater is like finding a good dentist.

LOL. DJ2. Called my HVAC shop. They were inline with what I though a ~ bigger outfit~ would be.
They were actually cheaper by than the quote I got from the plumber.

Called up the local neighborhood plumber.
He said $2500+ for a new heater.

I can only imagine what the new rates would be once these new CHUNKY models hit the market

Reach4

Reaction score
Called up the local neighborhood plumber.
He said $2500+ for a new heater.

I can only imagine what the new rates would be once these new CHUNKY models hit the market
They may have been planning very different water heaters. Maybe not. If your house is sealed up pretty well, it may be worth looking into a water heater that gets its combustion air from outside.

The new heaters will be largely more insulation, so the effort to install should not be a lot more.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Reach4 - I think he priced it in such a manner that either he did not want the business and or he is specing a different animal...

For my application, I've been wanting to upgrade to a 75....

My current Vent pipe to the stack in the brickwork that is only marginally higher than let's say current water heater heights to maintain the proper pitch to vent.

ANY new heater with the newer requirements for me, at least is quite a invasive procedure as the vent will need to be higher than where it is right now to be properly pitched to vent
Brickwork will need to be chopped open to raise the vent hole.
Then the old one would need to be patched.
The liner will need to get repaired/rebuilt.

Hence, I might as well do this now..

Reach4

Reaction score
Many people are putting in power vent units that are usually more efficient. They need a new hole in the wall and the exhaust gas gets blown out via a PVC pipe. That way you do not need to line your chimney.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Hmm....I'm going to have to read up on the power vents, design, etc.

I never considered once since I had a chimney that went up and out, and 1 less mechanical thing to break when all said and done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks