Which Cast Iron Flange Replacement is best

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by tomtbone, Jul 16, 2010.

1. tomtbone

tomtbone New Member

Today I successfully removed the old cast iron toilet flange and am left with a 4" cast iron pipe. The top of the pipe will be about 1.25" below the level of the finished floor. I am looking at a couple of PVC/ABS replacement flange from Oatey and Sioux Chief. Which one would you guys reccomend?

Oatey Compression joint with screws to tighten compression
    [​IMG]

Oatey Twist 'n' Set
    [​IMG]

Sioux Chief Gasketed Closet Flange
    [​IMG]

Sioux Chief Push-Tite Flange
    [​IMG]
  2. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

They are all about the same but I like the ones with a stainless steel ring.
  3. tomtbone

tomtbone New Member

Also, PVC or abs
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

ABS vs PVC is irrelevant when attaching to CI, so pick the one you can get easily, or is less expensive. I'd definately go for one with the (stronger) SS ring, though. Won't rust, or deflect or break as easily as an all plastic one.
  5. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED THOSE CHEAP PLASTIC FLANGES ARE JUST THAT CHEAP !
    THEY ARE MADE AS REPLACEMENT FOR BAD PLASTIC FLANGES !
    YOU NEED TO GO TO FRANK PATTERN & MANUFACTURING WEB SITE THEY HAVE ONE THAT IS 4" X 4"
    TO BRING YOUR REPLACEMENT UP ABOVE THE FINISHED FLOOR LEVEL WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE
    http://www.instantset.com/closet_rings.htm
    Home
    Announcements
    Product Catalog

Closet Rings
    Cast Iron
    Model Numbers
    Size
    Regular
    3"x2"
    4"x2"
    4"x2"
    40TC
    (w/test cap)
    Instant Set® - Closet Ring 4"x4"
    Model Numbers
    Size
    Regular

Deep
    4"x4"

-

Instant Set® - Closet Ring 4"x6"

Model Numbers
    Size

Regular

Deep
    4"x6"
  6. tomtbone

tomtbone New Member

So do those flanges fasten to the outside of the pipe then? I'm not quite getting how they work. Also, for the 2" deep size, how much pipe does there need to be to grab onto?
  7. tomtbone

tomtbone New Member

So do those flanges fasten to the outside of the pipe then? I'm not quite getting how they work. Also, for the 2" deep size, how much pipe does there need to be to grab onto?
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Any compression flange will ONLY seal if you can get the pipe smooth enough. I ONLY install cast iron flanges on cast iron pipes.
  9. tomtbone

tomtbone New Member

I understand that yes. What do you do though if the cast iron pipe is more than an inch below the finished floor level? Are those blue cast iron compression flanges adjustable?

I also saw at Lowe's today that Oakey is making a cast Iron Twist and seal flange
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  10. MACPLUMB 777

The blue cast iron instant set tightens on the outside of the pipe by tighting the 3 7/16 bolts

around the flange, !

That is why you get one that is 4" deep it sets down below the floor and extends up to

above flooring to make the correct fit !
  11. MACPLUMB 777

If i was doing it i would take both 4x2 and 4x4 to dry fit and make sure it tightens

correctly and will work properly ! !

Then return the one i don"t use !
  12. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I think what HJ was alluding to was that he only installs a new leaded ci flange on a ci pipe...they come with different depth throats to accommodate the height of the ci riser. This is the longest lasting, strongest connection, least likely to leak of all of the choices.