Which brand water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I have a 12 year old 40 gal Sears water heater that I want to replace before it goes out.

Is there a "best brand" or model that I should pick? Or are they all the same?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know about the brands, but is your existing water heater giving you a symptom, or is it just the time in service that has you shopping?

And when you say best, I presume you are talking about a cost-sensitive best. The Phoenix Light Duty has admirers but it is a premium priced unit. It is built to a higher standard than most home units. http://www.htproducts.com/phoenixldwaterheater.html

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I don't know about the brands, but is your existing water heater giving you a symptom, or is it just the time in service that has you shopping?

And when you say best, I presume you are talking about a cost-sensitive best. The Phoenix Light Duty has admirers but it is a premium priced unit. It is built to a higher standard than most home units. http://www.htproducts.com/phoenixldwaterheater.html

Looking for Best as in best built and trouble free. No leaks yet. Just don't want to wait till winter and let it go out.

Reach4

Reaction score
In my limited experience, tank water heaters tend to give time from when they leak slightly to when they leak a lot. A new water heater might fail before the old one would have failed. New ones, I think, have electronics which does not generally fail gradually. Your current water heater might be good for another 15 years.
I would flush the water heater, and maybe replace the anode.

That Phoenix Light Duty has a stainless steel tank.

If you get a new water heater and it is not on the bottom floor that is being serviced, it should be installed with a vacuum breaker.

I am not a pro.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have a 12 year old 40 gal Sears water heater that I want to replace before it goes out.

Is there a "best brand" or model that I should pick? Or are they all the same?

I would look for the one with the best warranty. Not made in China.

The thing nice about what Sears sells, You can get parts if needed.

You can buy what Sears sells from Walmart and buy parts at sears for it. :eek:

Gas or electric ? The brands that Terry listed are good.

A good water heater should last for 20 years. To bad the good ones are no longer available.

Good Luck.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The brand of WH is not as important as your luck when picking a new WH.

Sounds like playing the slot machines?

I've had good Rheems and bad ones, good American (Whirlpool) and bad ones, good Sears (AO Smith) and bad ones and good BradfordWhite and bad ones. Hope this helps.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On some, to get a longer warranty, you pay extra money to the seller at the time of purchase...it is exactly the same tank, so the length of warranty is often a mute point...longer warranty, you're paying for the insurance upfront.

How long one will last depends a lot on the water quality, but probably more, the luck of the draw.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I worked at Sears for 11 years and depending what part of the country or year, Sears water heaters were either State Industries or AO Smith. I replaced my electric water heater from Sears in 1999 and it is still good and I do not know which manufacture it is. The first three digits of the model number (xxx.yyyyyzzz) is the manufacture and this is for all Sears appliances, tools and power lawn equipment. I do not remember the numbers for the water heater but the sales person at Sears should know. Sears had little hand sales booklets that were call ML books (Merchandize List) that would list the source and features of each model. They may not print these anymore.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks