Which brand for RPZ, Watts or Cash Acme?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Fastgt79, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Fastgt79

Fastgt79 New Member

I am installing a water powered backup sump pump and code requires a 3/4" reduce pressure zone (RPZ) valve on the water supply to the sump pump. The two brands that seem pretty popular on the internet for RPZ are Watts (model 009M3QT) and Cash Acme (cash-flo RPZ II). What brand has a better reputation for quality since this is an important piece of equipment? Can anyone shed some light of these brands from a quality standpoint?
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Wilkins/Zurn 975XL Very simple device, parts are readily available and they stand up well.

John
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Rppbfp

Watts or Zurn, usually because of parts availability.
  4. Watts over the rest. Zurn is good. Cash Acme is good.
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Two Votes for Watts.

I have stock :D
  6. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

I don't like watts because I have short fat fingers that make it very hard to service there RPZ. I find Wilkins/Zern much easier to service.

John
  7. Fastgt79

Fastgt79 New Member

So other than potentially being harder to service, Watts is a good quality brand that will be easy to find parts. I have heard that some people use dual check valves with the atmosphere vent between the checks in lieu of a RPZ for protecting the water supply on a water powered backup sump pump. What are you thoughts on using dual check valves with atmosphere vent?
  8. Cass

Cass Plumber

What is required is dictated by code state by state....