Whether to caulk and scribe my vanity

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Buttonsrtoys, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Buttonsrtoys

Buttonsrtoys New Member

I'm finishing up an install of the vanity in the pic. The vanity cabinet and sink are fastened to the wall with lags in blocking and anchor bolts in plaster so it seems quite secure. I made sure the sink was level, but after the install I noticed that the floor isn't level, so the front of the vanity is 3/16" off the floor and the back sits on the floor. It's not enough to notice so I'm thinking of leaving it. I could take it off and scribe it, but its melamine and finished on the bottom, so ripping it and setting it on the floor seems like it would wick up lots of water and break apart.

I'm curious for feedback if leaving it is the way to go. Alternatively, I could run a bead of silicone under it. If I go this route, should it be clear or white?

Also, the sink top is rounded where it butts against the wall. Should that get a bead as well? White?

Thanks in advance...
    Vanity.jpg
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Caulk both, white
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Put some shims underneath the front before you caulk it (done right, the caulk would hide them). Otherwise, when/if someone leans on the thing, you won't be stressing the cabinet. It is designed to be sitting on the floor all around - you don't want it just hanging there from the back edge.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Or put a white base shoe around the bottom of the cabinet.
  5. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Yes you need to caulk around the back of the sink to prevent water splash from running
    down between the sink and wall it calls for a water proof washable surface
    ie; water proof caulking