where to solder copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by richb2, Sep 13, 2006.

1. richb2

richb2 New Member

This is a simple minded question, but I am a simple guy. I am putting in hydroponic underfloor heating. I finished running the PEX and now I need to run 3/4" copper tubing back to the boilder room, before I call in the plumber to hook the baby up to the furnace. It is about a 25 foot run. The basement ceiling is a cheapo drop down with removeable panels, and no more than 6 inches of space below the joists. Do I build and solder the copper tubes on the floor, and then try to get the long tubes into the ceiling? Or do I mount the tubes with hangers in the ceiling first, and then solder them in place? I have a propane torch and I am afraid of igniting the place.
  2. ToolsRMe

ToolsRMe New Member

Solder in place. It's much easier.

Make sure you have

a) A water sprayer bottle. I pre-spray with water on the wood, etc.

b) A cloth heat shield (around $20) if your joint is, say, less than four inches from combustible material. Putting the cloth in back is fairly cheap insurance.

c) A fire extinguisher nearby.

Once you finish sweating the joint, spray the area with water in case there are embers.

Yes, this is overkill in terms of safety but it's cheap insurance; and it's your house.
  3. prashster

prashster New Member

respectfully disagree

Unless you're a good solderer (is that a word?!) I'd do as much of it on the ground as possible. I wouldn't do the WHOLE thing on the ground bkz it'd be tough to measure exactly and lift it. But I'd do it in strategic pieces that minimize the amount of overhead soldering you have to do.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Why don't you run the PEX back and save on heat loss through the copper and the added cost?
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

Are you useing hydroponic heating to add humidity in the air during the winter months? :) :D :)
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heat

No, to grow grass on the floor for playing games.
  7. prashster

prashster New Member

No, to grow 'grass' - the 5-leafed kind.