Where to run water lines to install washer/dryer in garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Gelio

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i seem to have a sort of dilemma.
When we moved into this old house from about the 1960s era we knew the washer and dryer connections were placed in the odd space in the kitchen but we figured we would just run some lines out to the garage. Now what I am finding is that it is more complicated than just that!
Now I'm no plumber and I work in technology butt apparently what some have suggested is to run the water lines from the kitchen sync through to the outside wall and run the lines outside in the ground where they can go back in the house through the back of the garage. In fact a family member who tried to be helpful even installed this with copper pipes but after some other plumbers came in gave their assessment for an estimate they pointed out that they are going to freeze very easily especially when we pour cement over it for a patio. Now I would like to try to correct this problem before I go any further and before the winter comes. So I have two or three options right now and I'm wondering which one is the right way to go.
Should i:
A) replace copper through the ground with PEX to avoid bursting?
B) cancel the lines through the ground and go through attic? (I feel like lines may freeze in the 10 feet they run through unheated space)
C) spend money on remodeling my kitchen instead (the washer/dryer hookups are actually behind my fridge now. could add a wall to make a laundry room. Kitchen would be slightly smaller, oh well) This would also require to reroute water and gas lines slightly for stove and sink.

The average quote I've gotten is $1350 so far..
I know it could be hard to know without seeing it yourself but any input is appreciated ! Thanks

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I would run PEX (insulated PEX) through the Attic. It's much easier to work with and it won't bust if it freezes. Even though the PEX is insulated that won't guarantee it won't freeze, but it is still better than nothing and doesn't cost much more. If your attic has floor insulation, it's even better if you can run the PEX under that insulation (against ceiling) so the heat from the living space keeps PEX from freezing.

How do you plan to connect the washer drain to the existing drain system? That sounds like a bigger challenge.

Gelio

Reaction score
Well, the drain was already installed along with the water lines. I'll attach a picture of it.
(water lines travel left to right, drain right to left).
The lines are not buried that deep, and we were looking to pour a cement patio over the plumbing here.
Should we also be concerned about the drain pipe freezing and busting?

Attachments

• drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 438

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
When moving washer and dryer to a new location, try to keep all copper pipes INSIDE and if in the attic, INSULATED.
You don't have to bring water from the old location to the new, if there's a closer source - use it.
BTW, I mentioned copper pipes, because we only use copper around here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks