Where to install pressure regulator?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Vitaliy, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Vitaliy

Vitaliy New Member

Hi Guys,

I have a question where to install pressure regulator – before whole house
    water filter of after?

About month ago I installed two stages whole house water filter.
    Unit came with two pressure gages – one on filter inlet and second on outlet.
    I have noticed, city water pressure is 90+psi. This seems to be too high so,
    I decided to install pressure regulator. Initially I thought to install it right
    after meter/main and before whole house filter. However now I think, the
    best place for the pressure regulator will be after the filter. First of all, filter
    created me a pressure drop problem – filter outlet pressure drops down to
    30-40psi (depend on water usage), but this is different story, I talked to
    filter supplier and he promised to send me different set of filters.
    My understanding is, with good filters differential pressure should be around
    10-15psi. Hopefully new set of filters will take care about this problem.
    So, putting pressure regulator after the filter should have a lot of benefits:
    – filter will work better with higher input pressure;
    – regulator will have filtered water and diaphragm should last much longer;
    – house plumbing system will have more stable water pressure;

Am I correct?

Any ideas, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you in advance,

- Vitaliy
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Prv

The higher pressure on the filter unit could cause it to fail, depending on its construction. There will be a very great pressure differential on the filter media as it accumulates "junk", and the greater incoming pressure could force water thru the media and cause channels. I would put the regulator before the filter.