Where to ground after installing pex

Users who are viewing this thread

Rocknroj

Reaction score
I am replacing my galv with pex from the point of entry in the house. The water line enters the basement and after a new shut off valve goes the pex.
My gas line is jumpered to the old water line which connects to an old drain line and finally the panel. Service is 200 amp and has a couple groundiing electrodes outside. My questions regard replacing required grounding straps once the galvanized is gone.

I was planning on running a ground from the gas line to the panel. The furnace is old and has old 2 wire power.

I have 2 questions.

There will be a couple short sections of rigid copper where the flexible water lines connect to the water heater. Each of these transitions to PEX. Do these need to be grounded?

Should I run a ground wire between the old water pipe where it enters the building and my panel. It is a long way..

Thanks in advance

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was planning on running a ground from the gas line to the panel. The furnace is old and has old 2 wire power.

Perfect.

There will be a couple short sections of rigid copper where the flexible water lines connect to the water heater. Each of these transitions to PEX. Do these need to be grounded?

This is happening faster than the code can keep up. If inspected, every authority will have different opinions. In my opinion, no. When you have a pex system, the short stubs to the fixtures don't need to be grounded. I would consider the WH stubs the same.

We are doing a lot of remodels lately where the plumbers (freaking plumbers :rolleyes:) come in and chop out a chunk of copper in the middle of the system. This leaves a bunch of the remaining copper unbonded.

I take it on a case by case basis. If 90% of the copper is gone, I wouldn't necessarily bond the remaining pieces.

Should I run a ground wire between the old water pipe where it enters the building and my panel.

The piping outside your house does not require bonding.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
This is happening faster than the code can keep up. If inspected, every authority will have different opinions. In my opinion, no. When you have a pex system, the short stubs to the fixtures don't need to be grounded. I would consider the WH stubs the same.
We are doing a lot of remodels lately where the plumbers (freaking plumbers :rolleyes:) come in and chop out a chunk of copper in the middle of the system. This leaves a bunch of the remaining copper unbonded.
I take it on a case by case basis. If 90% of the copper is gone, I wouldn't necessarily bond the remaining pieces.

I think that the Code Making Panel was quite clear in their statement to the proposal made by Mark T. Rochon 5-235 Log #1834 outlined below.

5-235 Log #1834 NEC-P05 Final Action: Reject
(250.104(A)(1))
General Combination metal water piping system(s) separated by nonmetallic water piping system(s) where may become energized installed in or attached to a building or structure shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or the one or more grounding electrodes used.
Substantiation: Nonmetallic water piping systems are being inserted between our metal water piping system and today’s code is not recognizing these changes.
Panel Meeting Action: Reject

Panel Statement: The conditions indicated in the substantiation are already covered by 250.104(B) where there is not a complete metallic water piping system.Number Eligible to Vote: 15
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 15

The bonding of a system that has any nonmetallic pipes or fittings installed at all are not required to be bonded by table 250.66 or even 250.122 unless there is a piece of electrical equipment connected to it.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Well...?? Do they?

How bout the washer stubs?

If it's quite clear, call me Mr. Magoo.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks