where to buy real silicone caulk, preferably colored

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by lifespeed, Jun 13, 2012.

1. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

I just got done caulking a bathroom remodel after tile, but before grout. I figured the caulk would keep the grout out of the locations it didn't belong, so did this step first.

I used bone-colored "siliconized acrylic latex caulk" sold by the tile store. After starting the grout process, I noticed the caulk peeled in a couple places. I am beginning to think this is not a good product.

Where can I buy proper silicone caulk, preferably colored? What is a good brand?
  2. mfellows

mfellows New Member

3. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Laticrete makes a line called Latsil and I believe it is silicone chaulk and not siliconized arcylic latex chaulk. Mapei is also launching their new silicone caulking line very soon if not already. Check for suppliers that sell Latecrete or Mapei.

JW
  4. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Why would you caulk before grouting, nobody does that?

Silicone caulkings stay "sticky" even when cured.

So because you didn't follow the proper order of things that means the caulk you used is no good?
  5. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

I've done it for the same reason they did it I'm sure. Unless your chaulking is silicone water will break it down. In a shower or tub surround you can't have this. It looks so easy but never holds up.

JW