Where to buy real silicone caulk, preferably colored

Users who are viewing this thread

Lifespeed

Reaction score
I just got done caulking a bathroom remodel after tile, but before grout. I figured the caulk would keep the grout out of the locations it didn't belong, so did this step first.

I used bone-colored "siliconized acrylic latex caulk" sold by the tile store. After starting the grout process, I noticed the caulk peeled in a couple places. I am beginning to think this is not a good product.

Where can I buy proper silicone caulk, preferably colored? What is a good brand?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I just got done caulking a bathroom remodel after tile, but before grout. I figured the caulk would keep the grout out of the locations it didn't belong, so did this step first.

I used bone-colored "siliconized acrylic latex caulk" sold by the tile store. After starting the grout process, I noticed the caulk peeled in a couple places. I am beginning to think this is not a good product.

Where can I buy proper silicone caulk, preferably colored? What is a good brand?

Laticrete makes a line called Latsil and I believe it is silicone chaulk and not siliconized arcylic latex chaulk. Mapei is also launching their new silicone caulking line very soon if not already. Check for suppliers that sell Latecrete or Mapei.

JW

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Why would you caulk before grouting, nobody does that?

Silicone caulkings stay "sticky" even when cured.

So because you didn't follow the proper order of things that means the caulk you used is no good?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Why would you caulk before grouting, nobody does that?

Silicone caulkings stay "sticky" even when cured.

So because you didn't follow the proper order of things that means the caulk you used is no good?

I've done it for the same reason they did it I'm sure. Unless your chaulking is silicone water will break it down. In a shower or tub surround you can't have this. It looks so easy but never holds up.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks