Where to buy flexible plastic tubing?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by grizz, Jun 4, 2012.

1. grizz

grizz New Member

I'm currently putting pieces together for my 365ft well and was wondering where you guys buy 1 1/4" plastic tubing. It looks like my local home depot only sells the 1" size roll of plastic tubing but my pump has a 1 1/4" discharge. I've come across a few websites that sell it for an outrageous price, just wondering where the pros buy from. Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

you do realize that there will be about 160 psi static pressure on the pipe where it connects to the pump, I hope. Then add the operating pressure of the system and you have a serious dynamic pressure to contend with, so you need GOOD plastic pipe AND connections.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Any plumbing supply house should have or be able to get it. Make sure the stuff you get is rated for potable water. There is a lot of PE that is not as such.

You need to look at the head pressure for that depth. Most PE is not recommended for that deep.

http://www.deanbennett.com/well-accessories-page21.pdf
  4. grizz

grizz New Member

thanks for the replies! I didn't know about the 160 psi at the pump, is there a formula I can use to figure out what my exact pressure will be? It wont be hooked up to any pressure tank and will only be used to fill a water storage tank once in a while. Thanks for the help guys
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Every foot of water in a vertical pipe adds .433 psi. The height of water in a non-pressurized tank can be added the same way.
  6. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

I know the pump has 1 ¼” discharge, but that doesn’t mean you have to use that size pipe. If the pump will produce less than 15 GPM, I would use 1” pipe. It would be less expensive, less weight, has a higher burst strength, and probably easier to find.
  7. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I hang 90% of residential pumps on 1" - 160lb.