Where to buy an air vent valve for a residential application?

Users who are viewing this thread

gizmodiy

Reaction score
I've been trying to find an air vent valve in the Toronto area but I haven't been able to find a supplier who is familiar with these, and more importantly help me choose the right one for my application. I'm looking to build a water drain back system where a lake submersible pump (10 GPM) will push water up a 1" poly pipe to a dwelling where there is a check valve. Once the pressure is reached (approx 40 psi) the check valve shuts and the water in the pipe recedes to the lake. The water in the dwelling side of the check valve stays inside because the check valve is closed. I need an air vent valve that will allows the air to escape as the submersible pump pushes the water towards the check valve. Once the check valve closes, I need the air vent valve to open again under negative pressure to allow air into the pipe to allow the water to drain back to the lake. As I say, I could not find a supplier in the Toronto area (or anywhere else for that matter) that has something like this. However, I did find that GA industries make such an animal (actually many types of them), but upon contacting them they say that their products are commercial and not suited to a residential application. Any ideas anyone where I can get an air vent valve that does this (Toronto or anywhere else), and what do I ask for?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To do it with a single valve would require a very sophisticated one, because it would have to know when to stop letting air out, and when to let it back in again. A simple "float air vent" will let the air out, but stop when the water arrives, and a "vacuum relief valve' will let it back in.

gizmodiy

Reaction score
Thank you. That makes sense and explains why GA industries supplies only commercial needs.

Follow up questions:
If I have a 1" pipe then should I be getting 1" valves for both?
Any recommendations where to buy them on online?

gizmodiy

Reaction score
Thanks. I checked it out. Its about $330 for the two valves and an anti-hammer pre-assembled. Another $300 for the diverter. Seems expensive but still looking to price compare if I can find a supplier and information on size of the outlet I would need.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A 1/2" vacuum vent and a 3/4" float vent would be adequate and cost a lot less than $330.00. For that matter, a "properly installed" check valve would evacuate the air quickly, then "slam shut' when the water arrived. It would then "open" again when the pump stopped.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks