Where should doorbell transformers be mounted

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Where should doorbell transformers be mounted?

At the moment, mine is mounted on the outside of an electrical box in the basement that serves a pull chain light.

Is this correct?

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
As long as it's accessible and the line voltage connections are in a j box.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, the line voltage connections are in the box but the low voltage are just sitting there all exposed.

I love low voltage. You can get away with murder.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's where mine is...works fine. Note, these things come in different power ratings. They had a really wimpy one in there when I bought the place...the bell sounded, but was not very loud. I upgraded it to a higher wattage, and it now is distinctly louder and I can actually hear it upstairs in the bedroom, which was difficult before. Compare the recommended wattage for the transformer on your bell to what you have, and adjust as required. While any transformer uses some energy even when there's no load (i.e., nobody's pressing the button), the difference isn't all that much, and you aren't holding the doorbell button very long, which is when it draws the rated watts.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the best location is above an indoor circuit breaker panel. Then easy to find when you go looking for it!

Also if doing new construction, it is "nice" to wrap the low voltage wire a couple of times around your hand and leave that coiled up part in the wall with the end sticking out.

Then each time the transformer is replaced, a bit of spare wire can be pulled out of the wall. Then you can cut off the old ends and strip new.

Same thing at the doorbell button, HVAC thermostats, etc. Leave spare wire in the wall. Someone will thank you 30 years from now!

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
A little doorbell transformer history in my area.

In the 50's and 60's, they were often mounted under the surface mounted service panels.

In the 70's, the most common place was in that stupid dropped ceiling with the fluorescent lights and plastic panels in the kitchen.

In the 80's thru current they are generally in the garage, near the water heater in a flush mounted box/blank cover w 1/2" KO

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
So if the water heater explodes through the roof, you lose the doorbell as well?

Sounds risky to me.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
When I gutted the mess of a finished basement I found mine. It was coming off one of the boxes for a ceiling light. Of course it was inaccessible since the ceiling was sheetrocked. They dummies also took power for the oil furnace off that box.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks