5.Service

Where do you *prefer* to buy?

A.Big Box (Lowes-Home Depot et al.)
B.Neighborhood hardware
C.Contractors supply
D.Direct from manufacturer
E.Internet
F. Whoever has lowest price. period.
G.(none of the above) I steal my tools when possible.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
1. F
2. A
3. D or C or Mfg's Distributer
4. A
5. I don't buy based on service ... I buy tools that dont need servicing! Oh wait....customer service? See 3 above.

Prashster

Reaction score
I kind of like Tyler Tool for some power tools (refurbished).
You can get some good deals on that online auction site if you know how to lurk and find the reputable sellers

As far as big box: I prefer Blowes to Home Despot. It's just cleaner. But with an HD around every corner, you just can't beat that for convenience.

For plumbing supplies, I go to a professional supplier locally for everything by pipe. If you need ANY advice, a local professional is the place to go. It's not the lack of advice at the big houses, it's the presence of BAD or WRONG advice that I fear. I guess that's another reason I like Lowes; they don't pretend to know ;)

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
prashster said:
You can get some good deals on that online auction site if you know how to lurk and find the reputable sellers

As far as big box: I prefer Blowes to Home Despot. It's just cleaner. But with an HD around every corner, you just can't beat that for convenience.

For plumbing supplies, I go to a professional supplier locally for everything by pipe. If you need ANY advice, a local professional is the place to go. It's not the lack of advice at the big houses, it's the presence of BAD or WRONG advice that I fear. I guess that's another reason I like Lowes; they don't pretend to know ;)

Hand tools, such as wrenches and such, either Snap On, or Sears Craftsman. Power tools, and home improvement tools, Lowe's. Specialty home improvement tools, such as tools for installing electrical fixtures and other things that I dont use much, which diy store's dont stock, a local supplier, called "Staunton Building Supply". They have their own guarantee beyond the normal warranty, so if I dont use a tool for 10 years, then if it breaks when I do use it, they will replace it with an equivelent from their stock.

Lakee911

Reaction score
prashster said:

"Blowes"... I love it. I prefer Home Depot. Home Depot is trying to change that whole warehouse look going more towards a Lowes. I don't care for Lowes. They hire too many kids that don't know anything (even simple stuff like 'Where is the fastener asle?'). HD seems to know better.

Who remembers HQ-Home Quarters Warehouse? What about Builder's Square? (or what is Builder Square?) I remember going there when I was little. Not sure why the failed.

Jason

Prashster

Reaction score
As far as 'knowing better', I don't trust either. I've been given wrong and bad advice from the guys at HD regarding lumber and pvc drain fittings.

I DO like HD for tool rental though. Each new location is stocked with brand new tools. They opened one near me a year ago and people haven't really caught on to it yet. So, I get my pick brand new yard equipment, electric hammers, and saws. They DO charge slightly higher than other rental centers, but they're good about NOT sticking you with hidden charges, like charging for extra cleaning and wear. Net/net, I've found the cost to be the same.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tools

I buy name brand tools, not the "house's own imported" specials. But when I need one, the closest place that sells it makes the most sense. No use driving 5 miles and spending a half hour or more to save a buck. Losing tools is probably a bigger factor than servicing/repairing them, although HD is good about exchanging if they break.

Lakee911

Reaction score
prashster said:
As far as 'knowing better', I don't trust either. I've been given wrong and bad advice from the guys at HD regarding lumber and pvc drain fittings.

I DO like HD for tool rental though. Each new location is stocked with brand new tools. They opened one near me a year ago and people haven't really caught on to it yet. So, I get my pick brand new yard equipment, electric hammers, and saws. They DO charge slightly higher than other rental centers, but they're good about NOT sticking you with hidden charges, like charging for extra cleaning and wear. Net/net, I've found the cost to be the same.

I think its great. Gotta go to the store to get stuff for the project that you need to rent the tool for anyways. One stop shopping. Rented a sewer auger there last fall.

I live in the middle of the city and all the HD are in the subburbs. Lowes gets most of my bussiness because I can almost walk there. Gotta ride out for the rentals though.

Jason

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hj said:
I buy name brand tools, not the "house's own imported" specials. But when I need one, the closest place that sells it makes the most sense. No use driving 5 miles and spending a half hour or more to save a buck. Losing tools is probably a bigger factor than servicing/repairing them, although HD is good about exchanging if they break.

Same here. I did however buy a Blue Kobalt tool chest on wheels at Xmas.
Kobalt is made by Snap-On for Lowes.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
For me it depends on what I am buying. Woodworking tools that need to be substancial and that will wear well, I buy mostly from Grizzly, but I have had very good luck buying reconditioned tools on ****. Pipe and fittings and etc. I get a HD or Lowes mostly, but for single items I usually go to my local Ace Hardware. If I need a fairly large (expensive) item that is sold by many outlets, I will look online and at Harbor Freight as well as locally. If I need a particular brand, I go to a professional outlet. In other words, it's a mixed bag.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I buy brand name but will buy from where ever I can find the best buy unless it is needed ASAP then it is where ever it can be found. I buy quite a bit at the big online auction site.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
For me it depends on what I am buying. Woodworking tools that need to be substancial and that will wear well, I buy mostly from Grizzly, but I have had very good luck buying reconditioned tools on ****. Pipe and fittings and etc. I get a HD or Lowes mostly, but for single items I usually go to my local Ace Hardware. If I need a fairly large (expensive) item that is sold by many outlets, I will look online and at Harbor Freight as well as locally. If I need a particular brand, I go to a professional outlet. In other words, it's a mixed bag.

I think Harbor Freight sells disposable tools. I only buy things there that I'll use once or twice. Anyone had luck with that stuff?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What about Brand Name?

This may be questioned by some, but I believe the Rigid pipe wrench you buy at HD is exactly the same on you get at a supply house. Of course, HD only carries 4 or five wrenches, and maybe 6 tube cutters. They can order anything from the Rigid catalog, and the price will be less than at the supply house. This creates an uncomfortable position: the supply house needs profits from things like tool sales to stay in business. we need the supply house to provide quality faucets, pipe and fittings, and the much broader variety than the box store will ever have.

Power tools: I have always had excellent performance from DeWalt, and I also own some Milwaukee and Porter Cable.

Hand tools: Craftsman, and Jensen Tools. Used their catalog for years, and now of course they are on the web.

Ho333ard

Reaction score
I have a constant struggle between wanting to support my neighborhood hardware store and being a stingy SOB.
Were it possible to get everything I need from the LHS I'd be willing to pay a bit more for everything (10%?) but there's just too much I can't find there . . .

Lakee911

Reaction score
ho333ard said:
I have a constant struggle between wanting to support my neighborhood hardware store and being a stingy SOB.
Were it possible to get everything I need from the LHS I'd be willing to pay a bit more for everything (10%?) but there's just too much I can't find there . . .

Me too. Me too. The girlfriend likes to support the local biz, but I like to support the bank account. *shrug* Small things I get at the local biz, but big stuff is mail order or Big box and I'm even lookin' for coupons!

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks