Where can I purchase pressure tanks and switches?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nofears67

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to these forums and have recieved a ton of great information from one of the regulars here (valveman).

I need to find out where I can research pricing and find the following items.
45 gallon pressure tank (Amtrol or Flexcon)
80 gallon pressure tank (Amtrol or Flexcon)
80/100 pressure switch to control 10hp, 3 phase vert trubine well (Square D GHG 80/100)

Thanks!

Nofears67

Reaction score
Without going into great detail about my specific scenario it has been recommended to me to have a 45 gal tank at my well and an 80 gal tank at my home.

Yes, I will also be using a CSV prior to my first tank. Valveman assures me I will have approx 35 gals available before my pump will be called on. After those 35 gals are exhausted the CSV will allow the pump to continue to run until demand drops off and then the 35 gals of reserve will again be established.

At least this is how I interpret it will all work.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
And as soon as your pressure falls 10 psi the pump comes on, and then it runs until the water use falls off and it runs until the large storage volume is replaced. Personally, unless I'm missing something, I wouldn't go to the expense of the large tanks, I'd go with a 20 gal or just you 45 gal.

What is the 85 gal at the house supposed to do for you?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
At 80/100 a 20 gallon tank only holds 3 gallons of water and a 40 gallon tank only holds 7 gallons of water. With this size system using a 2" CSV, the tank fill rate will be 5 GPM. You need at least 2 minutes of run time so 10 gallons draw down is minimum. However, this is a deep well turbine pump without a foot valve. So we have air from the static level coming up every time the pump starts. This means it will be a couple of seconds after the pump starts before the water gets to the surface. Therefore the larger tank(s) will supply water to the house until the air gets out and the water from the pump is available. The larger tanks will also keep this big pump from having to start very many times for house use. You can flush a toilet many more times with 35 gallons of drawdown, than with 7 gallons of drawdown, before the pump must start and refill the tank(s). I suggested putting one tank at the pump because that is where the pressure switch is. That tank will work at 80/100, so another tank at the house will be seeing 40/60, and will give more drawdown than if at the well because of the lower pressure.

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hughes Supply (formerly HD Supply), which I believe is nationwide, sells Flexcon (Challenger) tanks and Square D switches

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think you have it backwards. Hughes supply is the old name. Then along came HD and bought them out. Unless they changed ownership back to the old way.

They are also Wholesale only. They aren't supposed to sell to homeowners.

bob...

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you have it backwards. Hughes supply is the old name. Then along came HD and bought them out. Unless they changed ownership back to the old way.

They are also Wholesale only. They aren't supposed to sell to homeowners.

bob...

Yeah I was there Friday they are still called HD Supply. But no longer affiliated with Home Depot.

Here they do sell retail (called a cash sale) but like any supply house generally sell to contractors. I'm glad they are also willing to sell to persons who are somewhat familiar with at least some aspects of this trade.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Here they do sell retail (called a cash sale) but like any supply house generally sell to contractors. I'm glad they are also willing to sell to persons who are somewhat familiar with at least some aspects of this trade.

I'll bet you are. You probably paid near list price though. If not, these guys would be stoned by the contractors that do frequent the place.

Leave it to Home Depot to ruin an otherwise decent wholesale supply house.

bob...

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
The local branch here is very helpful and reasonable with their prices. But I do walk in there generally knowing what I am talking about, so its not much different for them in dealing with me over a tradesman.

I have no problem paying maybe a 10% or so upcharge over the trades but can't understand paying full retail. Is my money less green?

Speedbump

Reaction score
What you don't understand is that it is a wholesale supply. It's main reason for existing is to supply contractors with the items they need to complete a job they bid on and are licensed to complete. HD and Lowes etc. are retail for the diy'er. There are lots of people out there who know just enough to be dangerous and think that because they have a little knowledge of a given trade that gives them special privalidges and the right to buy at 10% above wholesale.

Just because there are greedy salesmen that will sell to you doesn't mean that it's right. I for one used to boycott wholesalers that sold to the general public as did many of us. This also hurt their business quite a bit.

bob...

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
The end of this thread is rather interesting. Home Depot has referred people to HD Supply when they didn't have what they were looking for. Maybe the conversation should be, "If we don't have it, maybe a licensed individual can get it at a supply house and complete the work for you."

Speedbump

Reaction score
I would have to believe that was because HD owned HD Supply. They don't have a clue about wholesale. All they know is how to sell cheap stuff to homeowners and contractor wannabees. When they bought Hughes, I think they might have bit off more than they could chew.

bob...

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you don't understand is that it is a wholesale supply. It's main reason for existing is to supply contractors with the items they need to complete a job they bid on and are licensed to complete. HD and Lowes etc. are retail for the diy'er. There are lots of people out there who know just enough to be dangerous and think that because they have a little knowledge of a given trade that gives them special privalidges and the right to buy at 10% above wholesale.

Just because there are greedy salesmen that will sell to you doesn't mean that it's right. I for one used to boycott wholesalers that sold to the general public as did many of us. This also hurt their business quite a bit.

bob...

Hi Bob, I'll respectfully disagree with some of your philisophy on the operation of supply houses. I don't believe it is illegal or unethical for a supplier to sell to unlicensed individuals just as it is not for Lowes or HD, unless of course a license is required to buy that item (i.e. refrigerant) Certainly someone buying in quantity is entitled to some discount but selling at MSRP to one individual and 1/2 MSRP to another is gouging pure and simple. Yes they absolutely want your business as a volume buyer but it should not be at the expense of blocking out other individuals; that is borderline unethical. It should be entirely up to the supplier whether or not they want the hassle of dealing with occasional customers, some may not and I'll respect that decision. But there shouldn't be any protectionism going on here.
I agree there are many who know enough to be dangerous and they shouldn't be doing work requiring a license but that is an entirely different issue, and not for the supply house to monitor.

It was very much like you described with supply houses when I lived in the northeast. It got to the point where you had to masquerade as a tradesperson which was ridiculous.

On a more objective note I've been told that everyone pays sale tax on material purchases here in NC and not just the final retail buyer. So the whole tax exemption issue with wholesale purchases may not be an issue.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The word Wholesale should mean something. Distribution is another word that was basically invented by the Manufacturers to distribute their wares. The manufacturer not only does not want to deal with the end user, but neither does the distributor. They deal with professionals. The idea is they have more time to get the items together that the pro needs so he can pick them up in a timely manner. The distributor is not there to educate the public on the proper names of each and every item he would like to buy. While this is going on, the pro who would really like to get to the counter and get his stuff so he can get to work is waiting while joe homeowner is being educated. Then here comes the homeowner again the next day with the item to return because it's the wrong color, the wrong size or it just didn't work right. This is what HD and Lowes are for. They have people working there who can put up with this nonsense and because of that they charge about 10 to 50% more than the supply house might.

By the way, the wholesale supply house also has a license to sell to the pros. It's called an occupational license and it is issued for the wholesaler to sell to the pros, not the general public.

You may find that when the economy gets back on track, which it will in spite of what the government is doing to help. You will find it harder to get the counter guy to wait on you, because he is busy helping the people he is familiar with who frequent his place everyday and are in a hurry to get to work.

bob...

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah I would be annoyed too if there was someone in there with no clue holding up things for everyone else. I just have an issue with restricting sales to "pros". These days with the widespread availability of information (like these forums) it is not so easy to define a pro. A plumber who mainly works faucet repairs in the city probably has less knowledge of water wells than I do, and I mean no disrepect to the plumber. Who is going to take more time at the counter buying a well pump? A supplier shouldn't be so quick to judge the abilities of someone based on a company name or lack thereof.

It's a gray area .. where does a supplier draw the line in who to sell to and who not to sell to? Maybe if they enforced a no-return, or surcharge for return policy, they could steer away those with no clue. Just don't close the door on me because I have no sign on my truck!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Used to be; that was the rule. No license, no sale. Greed has taken away that aspect with a lot of the suppliers.

Things change, but not always for the better.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I might add that it is very risky business for a wholesale house to sell to an end user. If the contractors find out, they will see this as the wholesale house going around them, and taking their customers. Contractors will switch to a different supply house and even change which brands of pumps they sell, to be able to offer something that a homeowner cannot get at the same price.

ncgeo

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm sorry guys I call this protectionism. A contractor should rely on his skills and abilities, and not a closed supply chain, to protect his business. And a contractor doesn't want to sell me equipment without services. Seems like there is a good gig going with this arrangement, I wouldn't want to lose it either.

The problem I have is availability of materials outside of supply houses. As an example I'm not aware of any local retailer selling Myers pumps. I go to supply houses not for lower prices, but to buy stuff I can't get elsewhere.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If you want to buy Myers go to Tractor Supply and get their pumps. They are made by Myers. Or should I say Pentair, who really owns Myers. Go to Lowes or HD, where they sell Water Ace, they too are Myers pumps. They just have cheaper motors on them.

If you want to buy from a Wholesale/Retail outlet who will offer you a discount, go to my site and shop to your heart's content. I do both. That is the reason Contractors in my area refuse to buy from me. I used to be one of them, except for the fact that I have a store front and can buy from the manufacturers. I also get the manufacturers pricing not the wholesalers. I am what is called a Nitch business. I prefer to call myself a taint business. I taint a Wholesaler or a Retailer completely. I do both. And this is an accepted enterprise. The difference between me and the big box store is that I sell nothing but quality, not quanity. And I can get very close to their low low prices while still selling quality. You also deal with me directly, not some aproned crony stocking the shelves.

So, if you want friendly (matter of opinion) come see me, I'm your guy. Nobody will get mad at you and you get quality at a low price. How could you go wrong.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks