When to use more than one wax ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeG

Reaction score
I've been reading some of the posts on setting toilets and noticed that sometimes you guys use 2 rings. I'm about to set a Kohler Gabriele one piece toilet. The flange is sitting about 1/8" above the finished floor. When I dry fit the toilet it seems to be fitting ok. So how do I know when to use more than one ring? Besides the puddle of water on the floor... ;)

Also, it seems the consensus is to place the ring on the flange and then set the toilet. I'll try that.

Thanks, Mike

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
seal

One wax ring will do.
When you set the bowl you will feel the resistance of the wax as you set on the bowl.

MikeG

Reaction score
PLumber - Thanks for the reply. This is my first big plumbing project and it seems that each step of the way has its own set of issues. I am learning a ton and this forum has helped me enormously! :)

Thanks, Mike

bigrebnc1861

Plumber
Reaction score
MikeG said:
I've been reading some of the posts on setting toilets and noticed that sometimes you guys use 2 rings. I'm about to set a Kohler Gabriele one piece toilet. The flange is sitting about 1/8" above the finished floor. When I dry fit the toilet it seems to be fitting ok. So how do I know when to use more than one ring? Besides the puddle of water on the floor... ;)

Also, it seems the consensus is to place the ring on the flange and then set the toilet. I'll try that.

Thanks, Mike
to answer your question, when your toilet doesn't connect with the closet flange that is when you need to add two wax ring's.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
A "two wax rings, for instance" would be when the flange is too low for the toilet to seal due to the finished floor level (such as adding tile where there was only vinyl and not raising the flange).
A toilet flange should sit flush on top of (and be anchored to) the finished floor level with only the thickness of the flange above the finished floor level.
I'm with the wax ring-on-the flange set, instead of on the toilet base horn, although it'll work both ways if the ring is warm enough to stick good to the base.
To set the wax ring properly, sit the toilet straight down on it, and then stand or sit on the bowl and rock it down until you feel it seated. Level the toilet (with plastic shims made for the purpose if necessary), and bolt it down securely, but not too tightly (porcelain cracks easily if the nuts are over-tightened).
There also are flange extension kits that you can use in lieu of double wax rings. One of my toilets has double wax rings right now (been there for years...no problem). Whenever I double wax rings, I use a plain one on the bottom ond one with an attached plastic flange on the top down it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks