When to use 2x6 to allow for plumbing (interior walls)

Users who are viewing this thread

Ginahoy

Building Systems Engineer
Reaction score
As mechanical systems designer, I work with plans a lot. I often see 2x6 interior walls for plumbing but it's not consistent. I think architects and designers learn someone along the way to show 2x6 in certain situations but don't really understand when to apply, so they overdo this detail.

In a single floor home, the only wall I imagine might need to be 2x6 would be behind a washing machine, to accommodate one of those recessed plastic drain panels. Even then I don't see why that wouldn't work with a 2x4 wall. In a two floor home, I can see how the primary drain from the upstairs fixtures would require a 2x6 wall on the lower floor. But I'm just guessing.

Please elucidate me ;)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a 3" waste line, 3.5" OD and larger than that for the hub of the fitting, then it's nice to place that in a 2x6 wall. It doesn't bend the drywall to fit around the fittings.
If you are running 2.0" and 1.5" lines, then 2x4 is fine. A washer box fits in the 2x4 spacing.

It's nice that exteriors are going 2x6 now. So many times with the older homes, the wall was pretty badly swiss cheesed getting the kitchen plumbing in.

Ginahoy

Reaction score
Thanks for quick reply. I advise clients to avoid any plumbing in exterior walls, but all of my clients are building high performance homes so 2x6 is pretty much standard. I guess my question is when would there ever be a 3" waste line in a wall on a single floor home? Shower, tub and toilet waste lines go down, not into the wall. Would a 3" drain line be required for a double vanity?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The exteriors are going to 6" walls for increased insulation R value, they could care less about how the plumbing will be installed. SOme areas require a "full size" vent line all the way to the roof. In our area, meaning yours and mine, they require the aggregate areas of all the vent pipes to be the equal to the area of the incoming sewer pipe.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Would a 3" drain line be required for a double vanity?

2" is used for a double vanity.

when would there ever be a 3" waste line in a wall on a single floor home?

Almost never with UPC. I don't think I've ever done a 3" vent on a single floor home. I need something like two 2" vents and a single 1.5" vent and I'm good. If things are spread out a bit, maybe more vents.

Last edited:

Ginahoy

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming what I suspected.

In most cases I'm able to do a plan review well before ground breaking to ensure HVAC has been accommodated, and optimized when possible. I have also been advising clients to have a plumbing contractor review their plans, especially regarding DHW and hot water distribution. This will ensure a reasonable solution for waste lines and vents.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If someone wants a wall-hung toilet, you have more options if that wall is 2x6" construction.

bob13bob

Reaction score
they ahve gerberit toilet carrier frames (wall mount) for 2x4 and 2x6 walls. i find 2x6 preferable though.

from 94 ubc i have on reference, you may want to refer to a newer version that's adopted by your local code.
Sec. 2326.11.7. Pipes in Walls. Stud partitions containing plumbing, heating, or other pipes shall be so framed and the joists underneath so spaced as to give proper clearance for the piping. Where a partition containing such piping runs parallel to the floor joists, the joists underneath such partitions shall be doubled and spaced to permit passage of such pipes and shall be bridged. Where plumbing, heating or other pipes are placed in or partly in a partition, necessitating the cutting of the soles or plates, a metal tie not less than 0.058 inches (1.47 mm)(16 gage galvanized) and 1 1/2 inches (38 mm) wide shall be fastened to each plate across and to each side of the opening with not less than six 16d nails.

Last edited:

Ginahoy

Reaction score
This question has become more relevant to me personally as I just broke ground on my own new home. A plumber I met with today said code requires 2x6 walls for 2" vent lines since the pipe cutout takes too much wood from a 2x4 plate. If this is correct, surely it only applies to load bearing walls? Please advise.

Ginahoy

Reaction score
Based on my read of IRC Section 602.6.1 (I checked 2015 & 2018), the top plate of an exterior wall or interior load-bearing wall can be notched or drilled more than 50% of the width if it's reinforced with a metal tie. Apparently there's no limitation on drilling top plates on interior non-load-bearing walls. Is this correct?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks