When to silicone (or putty) faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
From same manufacturer some faucet instructions call for silicone under the escutcheon that sits atop the sink or countertop and some do not. When does one need silicone under the faucet, when does one need putty, and when does one need neither?

I notice that in case of an o-ring under the escutcheon it called for silicone... in the case of a rubber gasket it did not. Is that something that can be generalized or are the instructions just inconsistent?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Beware of Plumber's Putty when mounting on natural stone. The oils in it can stain the stone. In situations where staining is not an issue, Plumber's Putty will fill gaps and can help prevent movement.

But then, I'm not a plumber...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on the design of the faucet. Some have a gasket that seals fine with just the mounting screws, some have a hard plastic one that doesn't seal well unless you add something. Some have no gasket and require it to be sealed. Silicon is a real bear to removed, both the faucet and any excess, after it has cured. There are some plumber's putties that do not contain oils and are listed as safe for stone (and not all stone will be stained, but you don't want to find out yours can!). You don't want crud to be able to seep underneath the faucet, and you don't want it to be able to move around. Some surfaces are so smooth, that without either a gasket or sealing, it means it can move easily.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are some plumber's putties that do not contain oils and are listed as safe for stone...
Beware of false claims. I used a Plumber's Putty that purported to be non-staining and it stained my granite top. I had to use a poultice to remove the stain and then used silicone seal instead. I also used putty to mount the escutcheons to the melamine cabinet back and it too stained.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks